starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I get dizzy holding my breath?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    I hold my breath for all 5 reps.
    And because you're a dumbass. But I repeat myself.

I hold my breath for all 5 reps when I bench, but I can probably get away with that because I'm lying down. If I was doing it during one of the standing lifts, I would probably get dizzy.

Erm what ?

In the book you say... 'Any exhalation involves a certain amount of loosening of the chest to exhale and re-inhale, and some may decide to stay tight and do the whole set on one breath if it is important, and if they can hold the breath that long.' So you're calling me a dumbass for DOING WHAT THE BOOK says? Is there no pleasing you?

Granted, that's in the bench press section but you don't say whether or not this is the case for the press so I assumed it was

Let's pretend I eat meat
    Just pretend you're not dizzy.

In the book you say... 'Any exhalation involves a certain amount of loosening of the chest to exhale and re-inhale, and some may decide to stay tight and do the whole set on one breath if it is important, and if they can hold the breath that long.' So you're calling me a dumbass for DOING WHAT THE BOOK says? Is there no pleasing you?

Granted, that's in the bench press section but you don't say whether or not this is the case for the press so I assumed it was
    Don't assume these things. Would you assume that I meant for the breathing advice for the bench press to apply to the deadlift too? Go have a hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Don't assume these things. Would you assume that I meant for the breathing advice for the bench press to apply to the deadlift too? Go pretend to have a hamburger.
    Fixed it for you.

Erm what ?

There's a part of the quote that makes it not applicable to you. Hint: I put it in bold.

Extra hint: This means you're not doing what the book says.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Don't assume these things. Would you assume that I meant for the breathing advice for the bench press to apply to the deadlift too? Go have a hamburger.
    Well both are pressing exercises, and the only information on breathing during the press is 1 paragraph where you compare breathing at the top or at the bottom. But I suppose that's my fault due to that carrot and cabbage diet I'm obviously on right?

So how are you supposed to breathe for this exercise? Just breathe out a little after each rep?

I would suggest that you breathe in occasionally.

starting strength coach development program
    For the press, take a deep breath and hold it when you first get the bar into the rack position. This is the first and only time you should breathe with the bar in the low position. From then on, when the bar reaches lockout at the top, exhale fully and take another huge breath. Hold it, and do your next rep. Repeat until your set is done.

For the deadlift, take a breath before the bar leaves the ground, and another breath at lockout, if you like.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast