starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I get dizzy holding my breath?

Default I get dizzy holding my breath?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I sometimes get dizzy when holding my breath during reps (namely the press and deadlifts).

For deadlifts I find it doesn't affect me that much, as I take a few seconds to reset at the bottom but for the press I find myself disorientated and stagger a bit, making it harder to complete the reps. It only happens from time to time, but it's enough to ruin my last set. I hold my breath for all 5 reps.

Today I did my last set and after 2/3 reps it happened and I had to step back with one foot. I think I did 5 reps, but it may have been 4 as I was disorientated. I waited a minute and did 1 more rep.

Is there a way to avoid getting dizzy? Does it happen to your trainees? What should I do if I get dizzy on a set and can only do around 3 reps?

Cheers

You get dizzy because you are a vegetarian.

Let's pretend I eat meat

I had a similar problem. I took a detour from the program and did sets of twelve for several weeks. Problem solved. Back to sets of five. I don't know if the others would recommend this, but it helped me quite a bit.

Please tell me you are breathing between reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    I sometimes get dizzy when holding my breath during reps (namely the press and deadlifts).

For deadlifts I find it doesn't affect me that much, as I take a few seconds to reset at the bottom but for the press I find myself disorientated and stagger a bit, making it harder to complete the reps. It only happens from time to time, but it's enough to ruin my last set. I hold my breath for all 5 reps.

Today I did my last set and after 2/3 reps it happened and I had to step back with one foot. I think I did 5 reps, but it may have been 4 as I was disorientated. I waited a minute and did 1 more rep.

Is there a way to avoid getting dizzy? Does it happen to your trainees? What should I do if I get dizzy on a set and can only do around 3 reps?

Cheers

I'm no pro...but other than being a vegetarian, isn't the answer obvious? I am not trying to be a smart ass.

Stop holding your breath between reps. For the press, either quickly breath at the top, or reset every rep and breath at the bottom (harder this way). For the deadlifts...reset and breath every time the bar touches the floor.

Holding your breath while watching TV on the couch would eventually make you dizzy.

Mac

Cheers
    What Rip said. Also breath between reps. You really shouldn't have to, but if you are getting dizzy then breath. Do you really need to be told this?

Cheers
    Don't hold your breath for all five reps? Only a few people that I know of on this board try to do this. I certainly don't.

I feel like I've misread this before in a similar post from someone else, but:

I hold my breath for all 5 reps.
    Are you taking a breath between reps, or are you holding it literally for all 5 reps? If the latter, stop doing that. If you are breathing between each breathe, then that's a different matter.

starting strength coach development program
    Wait. Is he saying he holds his breath, one breath, for the entire set? That would explain some things.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast