starting strength gym

Thread: Upper spine clicks when shrugging on overhead press

Default Upper spine clicks when shrugging on overhead press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I asked this in the training section, but was wondering if you'd have any idea what causes this.

I'm 5'8, a chubby 82 kilos/180lbs, and have recently lowered weights after recovering from some injuries.

I've only pressing 25 kilos/55 lbs today, since I'm taking it easy on my shoulders to begin with. The thing is, I've noticed that when I shrug at the top of the press, my spine clicks in the cervical/thoracic spine region. It sounds quite soft or muffled, and also feels as though something is grinding together slightly. That description might sound extreme, but it's not painful, it's just very different to how it sounds/feels when you click, say, your fingers or something.

Any ideas what is causing this?

You are quite likely to hear and feel various pops ad clicks in some of your joints with regularity. It is usually best to ignore these things and train through them if they cause no significant pain or loss of function.

my left elbow pops and cracks during pressing movements. it hurts a bit, but it's not awful. just train through it and take some vitamins or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    I asked this in the training section, but was wondering if you'd have any idea what causes this.

I'm 5'8, a chubby 82 kilos/180lbs, and have recently lowered weights after recovering from some injuries.

I've only pressing 25 kilos/55 lbs today, since I'm taking it easy on my shoulders to begin with. The thing is, I've noticed that when I shrug at the top of the press, my spine clicks in the cervical/thoracic spine region. It sounds quite soft or muffled, and also feels as though something is grinding together slightly. That description might sound extreme, but it's not painful, it's just very different to how it sounds/feels when you click, say, your fingers or something.

Any ideas what is causing this?
    It means you are dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You are quite likely to hear and feel various pops ad clicks in some of your joints with regularity. It is usually best to ignore these things and train through them if they cause no significant pain or loss of function.
    Just to put you more at ease, it happens to me to. It's not always in the same places and most of the time feels kinda good.

The board has become a lot more stupid recently. I do not delete enough silly bullshit.

starting strength coach development program
    You might be moving your head in and out under the bar instead of moving your hips forward and back. I have had a few neck injuries through wrastlin/bjj, used to move my head out in and out instead of pushing my hips through. It aggrivated my neck. When I started using the form Rip teaches the pain went away completly