starting strength gym

Thread: AC Joint / Starr Rehab

Default AC Joint / Starr Rehab

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Coach,

I was searching around on the forum for any threads on AC joint pain while benching/pressing. I found this thread, which is similar to my problem.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...?t=8074&page=1

I had minor AC surgery on my left arm a few years back due to some impingement (a little clean up to allow better movement.) The right side was bad too, but after a few years of stretching and better form, things got better in both shoulders. Lately, my left AC joint has been clicking/popping during bench and press, and my collarbone area on both sides has been fairly tight too. I worked on my form for both exercises over the past few workouts, and there's no popping or pain now for the press, but still pretty bad for bench.

I can't find the Starr Rehab article on SS anymore, but I am going to follow the plan you advised in the above thread. I also read the section on the SS wiki page. I have few questions for you:

1.) My press is 140 x 5 and bench is 225 x 5. What weight should I start with? I've got a 25 pound standard bar; I was thinking that may be a good start.
    2.) Since this is everyday for two to three weeks, is this a good layout?
    Days 1-10 : 25 reps upping weight daily
    Day 11-12 : 15 reps upping weight daily
    Day 13-14 : 10 reps upping weight daily
    Day 15 and beyond: back to five reps
    3.) When you state to re-intro bench after 3 months at 1:1 with press, is this for any length of time, or going forward always keep your bench even with press?
    4.) Would it be okay to incorporate some mobility workouts during this rehab period?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

If you don't have a current diagnosis of your shoulder, and if you happen to have an osteophyte, you will aggravate the condition with this program. The program you outline is for a muscle belly tear. And 25 pound bars are not Standard.

Not sure if there's any bone spurs in there, but both shoulders are a bit clunky and both feel a tad unstable. I wasn't quite sure about tha rehab protocol so I figured I'd ask you first. The 800mg Ibuprofen has been working well and some mobility stuff has been helping. Both shoulders were getting real stiff and lots of popping. The bar I was referring to was standard, as in 1" plate standard.

I'll go see my ortho and see if he can find anything through X rays.

Any tips for continuing training? Lay offs?

Thanks!

Since the diagnosis is possible circa 2011, it would be good to have one. A 1'' plate has not been standard since the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A 1'' plate has not been standard since the 50's.
    It is if you buy your equipment at a big box store like Wal-Mart or Sports Authority. What you consider "standard", they consider "Olympic". What they consider "standard", you consider "crap".

Yeah, that's just me.

starting strength coach development program
    Seems to be a common thread with you:

The Masses (TM) - squats bad for you
    Rip - squats are standard

TM - core training is standard
    Rip - core training is crap