starting strength gym

Thread: Constant lower back fatigue

Default Constant lower back fatigue

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a problem that has come up in the past few weeks. My lower back constantly feels tight, and fatigued. It's like this when I wake up and when I go to bed. I feel it the most when I start to pick up plates to put on the bar for deadlifts. It's not really a burn or an ache, it just feels like I worked out my back already, before I even start squats or deads. It doesn't seem to bother me too much once I actually get into the workout itself, so I haven't been to worried about it so far. I was hoping to get your opinion of what I should do, if anything.

Some background, I'm a 21 year old male, who's 6'3 and 195 lbs. My squat is around 220 (3x5) and deadlift is around 315 (1x5). I lost a lot of weight in june and gained it back in july. I just came off an 8 week round of prednisone.

Hope that gives you an adequate picture.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Why were you on prednisone for 8 weeks?

Chronic autoimmune disease.

This has always been an issue for me, too, to the point where my lower back would straight up cramp when I bent over to put plates on the bar for deads. It's still uncomfortable, and I'm lifting a good bit more weight than you. It's better, but still there. I'm not entirely sure what causes it.

Stretching and foam rolling do help, so stretch after you lift and foam roll like a crazy person. Deep tissue massage could also be helpful.

The chronic disease may be causing the pain. We have discussed chronic low-back pain here dozens of times, and if these previous discussions do not apply, it is probably your situation.