starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Article: Starr's Training for Kids, part two

Default New Article: Starr's Training for Kids, part two

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Hopefully it's only wrapping up the article series as I find the topic of traing kids very interesting and would look forward to more articles on the subject. This part got more in depth on the handling of kids mentally as well as physically and was a great addition to the first article. Thank for printing this

Great article Rip, I love getting to work, checking ss.com and finding a great article to read for lunch. Keep them up!

I'm aware that you and Bill don't always agree on everything, nor do you need to. Anyway, wondering about your take on pausing squats at the bottom, especially with reference to young trainees. From the article, it's not completely clear how much of a pause he's talking about or what exactly "not rebounding" means: he gives a time for bench press. Are we talking about a box-squat length pause (without a box), just not bouncing off of the calves, or something else?

Yes, it is hard to tell if he means that he wants to remove the natural stretch reflex or if he is simply trying to prevent the sloppy crash into the bottom that is so very prevalent with uncoached squats. I don't consider the later "rebound" any more than slamming a bar into the ribs on the bench is an appropriate use of a stretch reflex.

What did Starr actually teach you, Rip?

Starr taught me to drive up fast out of the bottom, which requires a rebound at some level. In this context I'm quite sure he's seen enough kids collapse into the bottom of the squat that he thinks the pause is a good cue to tighten them up. It works quite well for this, and I use it when a trainee cannot process the controlled-rebound idea. The pause can prevent relaxation at the bottom if it is handled correctly. But I do not presume to speak for Bill.

I was wondering this same thing--whether Mr. Starr emphasized pausing at the bottom of the squat in order to teach young/brand new lifters safe and correct technique, or if he truly believed pausing at the bottom was the most beneficial way of squatting....Does he post on these discussion boards?

Mr. Starr does not post on any boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Mr. Starr does not post on any boards.
    He'll have the last laugh when computers sprout legs and take over the world.

starting strength coach development program
    I think he took Colossus: The Forbin Project too seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast