starting strength gym

Thread: A Question about Overhead Press and Nerve Injury

Default A Question about Overhead Press and Nerve Injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe,

Before I get to my question I would like to provide some past info, I actually started SS about 2 years ago, then had an accident damaged by left arm which caused nerve entrapment (at the carpal tunnel, elbow or somewhere else doctors seemed to fail on that matter) that resulted in severe allodynia on my left hand fingers which basically disabled my left hand for a long time.

I was a weakling then and I still am (now a bit fat too), it has been 3 weeks into doing starting strength again and I am having problems with the press, both in terms of linear progression and the lift itself.

At the final stage of the lift, I feel a strong jolt along my left forearm which ends at my elbow, I am lifting very carefully and causing no torque on the wrist, and I do not want to disable my left hand again so should I be worried about this jolt or as long as I maintain proper form should I not worry?

About linear progression, my lifts have been progressing pretty good up to now except the press (and clean but I believe that has something to do with my form). I have been incrementing my press by 5lb intervals and I missed the last rep today at 65lbs (I am seriously weak) would that mean that I will only be able to progress with lighter increments or should I stick with 5lbs increments and keep repeating until I get 3x5.

And before You ask, I am eating like crazy, drinking my GOMAD, sleeping well, not smoking (for the last 2.5 years), not drinking, I am 26 and 5'7" and 170lbs.

Please excuse my long post,

Thank You.

Having no information about your previous injury, and seeing your report of neurological symptoms during the movement, I'd say that you should be concerned about this. Perhaps you need a current evaluation. Until then, I'd omit the press if it causes neuro symptoms.

Not smoking and drinking is probably your biggest problem.

For what it's worth, I had an ulnar nerve entrapment issue, and elbow surgery about 5 years ago. The pain flares up once in awhile because the surgery didn't completely rectify the problem. The only time I get pain in my elbow from the press, or bench for that matter, is when I don't keep my elbows in the proper position, as shown in the book and DVD. If I start cocking my elbows out, and am not really careful about technique, that's when issues arise.

I'm not saying that's your problem, it just might be worth taking a real close look at your technique. Also, avoiding coffee (which I can't do), and fish oil and/or cod liver oil seems to help the inflammation.

Mr. Rippetoe,

I have been discussing this issue with my Doctor, he advised me that motion (especially running) would actually be good for the arm and whatever nerve or (nerves) I have injured would eventually find its proper position and heal in time, Press might have an adverse effect but if I omit the Press from the workout what should I replace it with? would You advise me to use a different exercise with a different range of motion.

Thank You.

You're already benching, right? Just do that.