starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help my wife to squat, I beg.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I thought Josh's advice is how Rip teaches the back squat? At least using those words ("sit back" "then down" & "vertical shins") provides the correct coaching cues to perform the back squat correctly (i.e. with lots of hip drive and without the knees sliding forward). I'm wrong in my understanding?
    No, Rip doesn't teach the "back squat" with vertical shins? Rip may cue "vertical shins" to correct a knee position problem that interferes with hip drive?
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 10-06-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh306 View Post
    It doesn't matter how Rip teaches the squat, cos Rip isn't teaching this lady, her husband is. No-one was identifying the basic problem with the squat, ie. she is just descending straight down, knees going forward, and then pushing straight back up (a quad dominant, standing leg press effectively). So I pointed out that she needs to move her hips back and then down, and then drive with them out of the hole. Exactly how a proper squat is done you knobend.
    Actually, you're supposed to start the squat by descending straight down, breaking at the knees and hips simultaneously, with the knees ending up about an inch in front of the toes for people of average anthropometry. Have you even read the book?

The lady's problem is that the bar is in the wrong place for the way she's trying to squat, her head position is interfering with balance and hip drive, and she needs to get her toes and knees out more. Yes, she is having problems sitting back at the right point in the movement, i.e. not at the very beginning, but IMO that is a symptom of the other issues I have identified. One could reasonably make an argument that it's easier to hit the problem the other way and cue her to sit back at the right point in the movement, i.e. not at the very beginning and see whether that fixes the above issues. It's a matter of what works better for the individual trainee, and I personally think it's better in cases of people with underdeveloped kinesthetic sense to give concrete, discrete corrections than to cue vaguer, more systemic corrections like "sit back more" which work better for natural athletes and people with more highly developed kinesthetic sense.

But what definitely does not work is teaching her to squat as though she is doing a very wide-stance, very low-bar powerlifting-style squat in which the goal is to keep shins vertical when what she is doing is a bastardized high-bar squat and what she ultimately wants to do is the low-bar squat the way Rip teaches it.

You should really just write a book on technique, that will end all of this confusion.

Oh, oh , oh... And instaed of just describing the technique, you should have lots of pictures and drawings demonstrating. Maybe you could get some of the people from your gym or Stef to pose for these? Maybe, for the squat you could devise some highly technical gizmo that a person could place in front of them to help them gauge where their knees are going? I dunno, like a spring loaded actuator with, like, a siren and lights. Maybe it could shoot golf balls in the air? So, like when your knee hits it, all the sirens and lights and golf balls give you, like, biofeedback or something? I don't know, I'm just brainstorming here, you could probably come up with something similar. But since this is all my idea how about a mention in the acknowledgments section?

Rip is speaking only in third person questions now? Not trying to be a jerk; I just didn't understand that post.

Gentlemen, have those of you confused about shin/knee position even looked at the cover of SS:BBT?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBarker View Post
    Rip is speaking only in third person questions now? Not trying to be a jerk; I just didn't understand that post.
    Rip is (quite correctly) mocking my poorly written post wherein I made statements that ended with question marks. Doing so confused my post/
    question, which is why Rip's answer is confusing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123