starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Squatting Situation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Dude. Hardware store. 5 galling bucket. Cement. 2x4s. Assortment of screws. Google is your friend.
    That amounts to a giant, unsightly mess my wife wouldn't want in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii
    balls, but are people really this retarded?

-Hat
    I think you're misunderstanding the situation. At the weight I'm squatting now, the barstools are perfectly fine. One stool by itself will easily hold 250lbs. I'm only squatting 225lbs. That's 225lbs. spread across two stools both capable of holding at least 250lbs. apiece. Their ability to hold the weight is not a problem at all (my wife tends to buy furniture that will stand up to artillery fire). My real concern is not having a spotter or a way to bail out. My weights are in my bonus room, so dropping the weight is not an option. Even if I had squat stands, I think I'd still have the problem of getting stuck were I to press my luck on the weights.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    If I were him, I'd join a gym. Mine is $19.99 a month, no signup fee or contract. They have a shitty bars, but allow chalk, the trainers never charge me for shakes, and I nobody uses the squat rack.
    Were I hell bent on squatting big numbers and had no knee damage, I'd already have opted for this.

Ever since my neighbor (a PT) suggested building up the strength in my knees, I've been doing high rep BW squats and goblet squats with a 60lb. dumbbell. I've appreciated a vast improvement from doing so. I enjoy doing high bar back squats the most (low bar always feels like I'm fishing for a toilet in the dark), so I came up with the bar stool solution. Obviously, they are less than optimal (wouldn't have thought to start this thread if I didn't realize that), so the max weight I can use them for is well limited. As I'm getting value out of higher rep squats, is it advisable to continue doing them considering the type of damage I have in my knee? Would snatch grip deadlifts, with very low hips, be a reasonable substitute for squats, for me?

What the hell's wrong with you man? This is your physical health and integrity we're talking about, and you can't be bothered purchasing a basic pair of squat stands to safely squat from? Putting a loaded barbell on a couple of chairs is the fucking stupidest thing I've ever seen, an injury or damage to your house waiting to happen.

I cannot believe what kinda tightarses people are when it comes to fitness equipment. Few weeks back I bought a prowler sled for 350 bucks, and a guy I know looks at me in disbelief, saying "you paid that much for a bit of exercise equipment?". Ye man, I did, its my fucking cardiovascular health at stake, I'd spend a hundred grand if that's what it took to get my damn heart and lungs in good shape. Seriously some people...

Quote Originally Posted by mike_the_dyke View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding the situation. At the weight I'm squatting now, the barstools are perfectly fine. One stool by itself will easily hold 250lbs. I'm only squatting 225lbs. That's 225lbs. spread across two stools both capable of holding at least 250lbs. apiece. Their ability to hold the weight is not a problem at all (my wife tends to buy furniture that will stand up to artillery fire).
    I think your wife should get a website and start selling these wonderful stools to the guys on this board. She seems to be in charge there, and I think she's well suited for the fitness equipment business.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh306 View Post
    What the hell's wrong with you man? This is your physical health and integrity we're talking about, and you can't be bothered purchasing a basic pair of squat stands to safely squat from? Putting a loaded barbell on a couple of chairs is the fucking stupidest thing I've ever seen, an injury or damage to your house waiting to happen.
    If the stools won't hold the amount of weight I have on the bar, they won't hold the heavier people who sit in them.

I cannot believe what kinda tightarses people are when it comes to fitness equipment. Few weeks back I bought a prowler sled for 350 bucks, and a guy I know looks at me in disbelief, saying "you paid that much for a bit of exercise equipment?". Ye man, I did, its my fucking cardiovascular health at stake, I'd spend a hundred grand if that's what it took to get my damn heart and lungs in good shape. Seriously some people...
    There are plenty of hills you can run up for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think your wife should get a website and start selling these wonderful stools to the guys on this board. She seems to be in charge there, and I think she's well suited for the fitness equipment business.
    If you're interested, I could probably get you a nice deal. Might even throw in a free bridge.

Ok, let me concede for a moment that using bar stools is retarded and that I will resolve to get suitable stands in the near future. What do I do in the meantime? High rep front squats? The previously mentioned snatch-grip-deadlifts? Pistols?
    Considering my knee situation, would higher reps at a lighter weight be advisable?

Even if I had squat stands, I think I'd still have the problem of getting stuck were I to press my luck on the weights.
    Are you deliberately skipping my posts? Did you miss the part where I said "saw horses"?

Mike, you're charming, and I'll bet your Mrs. is a very patient woman.

About those barstools, the weight isn't what's worrisome; it's the stability. It's easy to go tilt, and nothing holds the bar on the stool.

Quote Originally Posted by JoelleG View Post
    I'm reserving the right to call something badass for the day when I see someone squatting of a precher-curl rack, just to spite the curl bros.
    I did some rack pulls off a preacher bench this morning. Does that count for half ass?

Ok, let me concede for a moment that using bar stools is retarded and that I will resolve to get suitable stands in the near future. What do I do in the meantime? High rep front squats? The previously mentioned snatch-grip-deadlifts? Pistols? Considering my knee situation, would higher reps at a lighter weight be advisable?
    Mike, I have a book and a seminar about barbell training done the correct way. I own a properly equipped gym. What do you expect me to tell you about this shit? Have fun fucking around in your house, and when your wife decides to let you actually train, do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Mike, I have a book and a seminar about barbell training done the correct way. I own a properly equipped gym. What do you expect me to tell you about this shit? Have fun fucking around in your house, and when your wife decides to let you actually train, do so.
    I had hoped you would have some thoughts on higher rep squats and knee damage and also, some thoughts about whether or not there is any overlap between squats and snatch-grip-deadlifts, but I can also appreciate the 'do it right or don't bother' viewpoint (there are certainly things I have felt that way about). So, I guess I should cancel your order for a pair of bar stools?

You could try to make a balanced routine out of frontsquats, deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, press, pullups, bent over rows and pushups(with extra weights on your back, fe with a vest or a backbag).

But you could also pay for some better equipment.

You really don't want to make backsquats close to failure with these chairs for obvious reasons; you might die.

starting strength coach development program
    Natural selection?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast