starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Weights are as follows

135x2, 145, 155, 160, 135x2, 140x2, 145x2, 150x2

I'm trying to convert to a more olympic style press, this obviously isn't a full olympic style press, but closer to it than what I have done.

Is what I am doing with the way I am leaning back a bit before the press at the beginning correct? Anything that I need to change or work more on? Other than putting more weight on the bar of course, WEAK!

Thanks.

The cues I use on heavy sets myself are: push the hips as far forward before the drive up as I can, and aim the bar at my nose. It immediately helps.

Thanks Rip I appreciate it. I've never done this style of press nor have I ever even seen it taught so I wasn't sure the coaching cues that would help. Thanks again.

If you haven't seen it taught why don't you look at this site's resource section? There is a 2 part video teaching it.

Rip, should Derek's elbow be more directly located under the bar and not so far forward at the bottom of the movement?

I understand that you want the whip from your hips to translate through the shoulders and to the bar, but I think you're losing too much efficiency by setting up with your elbows that far forward, and thus your forearms somewhere other than directly under the bar.

Keeping my forearms directly under the bar has been helpful to my press. I don't consider my press to be quite "Olympic style," but I do use some decent layback/hip action, as in this press, for instance.

Coach,

I've seen video of you squatting and chinning, and I know you don't bench. Any chance a video of you pressing might ever surface? I would love to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    Rip, should Derek's elbow be more directly located under the bar and not so far forward at the bottom of the movement?
    Yeah, they should be. I was looking at his hips.

Can you do a full set of them? The way you are coming down is fine for heavy singles but you should be able to use the stretch reflex and bring it down more solidly on a full set.

starting strength coach development program
    The Olympic press works much better from a full stop without the stretch reflex at the bottom.