starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Lift Form Check

Default Dead Lift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

About 4 weeks ago on my 5th rep of a single set of deads I felt a muscular strain in my neck. Over the next couple of days it stiffened up pretty good so I paid a few visits to my chiro. It has been noticeably better but I have noticed just a touch of discomfort after DLs since then. I still visit the chiro about once every week or two but, I realized that nobody has watched me dead lift in a while.

I'm currently following a program that calls for multiple sets of 2 at certain percentages of 1RM and today's workout was 7 sets of 2 at 425# (85% of 1RM). To my surprise, it looks like I have a touch of rounding from the moment that I set and pull. Everything else looks pretty good to me. The three sets are (in order) 1,2 and 7 of the workout.

I would appreciate any help you can give based on the videos. In case it matters, I'm 37, 6-1 and around 240#.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lah8sbFNbgg

A TOUCH OF ROUNDING? Have you lost your mind??? Your ability to see???? You lumbar spine is is full fucking flexion. I don't think this hurt your neck, but it didn't help it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A TOUCH OF ROUNDING? Have you lost your mind??? Your ability to see???? You lumbar spine is is full fucking flexion. I don't think this hurt your neck, but it didn't help it either.
    While the OP isn't really setting his back properly, if one was setting their back properly on deadlifts and they aren't able to maintain their lumbar shape (but otherwise performs a good deadlift), what would generally be the cause of this and the solution for this?

Setting the lumbar in extension and not able to hold it is a strength problem. Usually a bouncing-the-deadlift-off-the-floor problem. Which is often a CrossFit problem. It is corrected by backing up and getting the low back strong with correct technique. Failure to set is a technique problem, which always results in a strength problem later..

Well, wonderful. Next week I'll video again and conciously make an effort to set my back. It seems worse in the 1st than in the 2nd and I think it's from a case of losing mental focus during my set up.

Thanks for the harsh reminder.

Its not a case of losing focus, its a case of you having absolutely no idea what proper deadlift form looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lah8sbFNbgg

WTF!!!

Somebody get this guy the books, the DVD, and a seminar spot for Christmas.

You need to watch this, gannimal.
    http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...sition_control

I workout alone and nobody has seen my dead lift in months, including me. I had no idea that my lumbar spine was in complete flexion. I'll post another video from my next session - probably friday or saturday.

But - if somebody wants to buy me a seminar spot for Christmas then i'd be happy to go .... :-)

starting strength coach development program
    You should record your workouts as a beneficiary aid in helping you analyse your techniques. If you find it tedious, then recording 1 set for each exercise once a week should suffice, it's enough to allow you to see if your technique is consistently good over time. Just something I find that helps me. Because sometimes when a rep is missed etc and your in a situation where you shouldn't be stalling etc, the first sign you should check for is technique.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast