starting strength gym

Thread: Post knee reconstruction

Default Post knee reconstruction

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark, just wondering if you've had any experience with beginning training after a knee reconstruction? And if so, if you have any useful advice and assistance exercises I can do to help my recovery? I understand if this is beyond the scope of what you offer in this forum

I had an acl reconstruction (hamstring) due to a football injury 15 - 16 months ago, began upper body lifts around 8 or 9 months ago (stupid without being able to do lifts involving lower body, I know), lower body lifts around 2 -3 months ago.

I am still having hamstring problems in the donor hamstring, mainly weakness in the area that was taken and getting the lateral side to activate, resulting in middle/inside doing all the work, which is really affecting my squats, and I'm sure there are better things I could be doing than swiss ball planks etc as prescribed by my physio/trainer. I was hoping to work up to ghr's, but my gym hasn't got a ghr station.

I imagine the answer will probably be more squats and time, but just hoping you may have something else or some helpful advice for me!
    Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Callum

I had one myself. I've written about it. SEARCH FUNCTION. your biggest problem is that you laid off 14 months before starting back to training it. This is why you're having problems, not the graft. You didn't make the thing heal -- you thought you'd let it heal. There is a huge amount of info on this board about this very thing. Read.

Rip, whats your favourite surgery been? Any you would like to have in the future?

Gosh, let me see.. My favorite has been the C6-7 fusion, when I woke up with all the arm and neck pain gone. I'd really like to have my remaining hemorrhoid chopped out next. Thanks for asking.

I also had a recent acl reconstruction (hamstring graft) about 5 weeks ago. I have looked around using the search function so I understand your view on an early and aggressive rehab approach. Do you see any value in starting back to training using deadlifts to accustom the knee to stress before introducing squats? Regarding both squats and deadlifts, is there any reason to deviate from sets of 5 in this situation?

Lovely

Whens your Bio coming out? Could be called "Mark Rippetoe, A life and times - Coach, Surgery whore, internet sensation."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd really like to have my remaining hemorrhoid chopped out next.
    Thank you for that wonderful imagery Rip. I was eating.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Do you see any value in starting back to training using deadlifts to accustom the knee to stress before introducing squats? Regarding both squats and deadlifts, is there any reason to deviate from sets of 5 in this situation?
    I think you have to do both, squats for ROM and deadlifts because you can load them heavier earlier. Fives are right for this, for the same reasons we use them to train.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Thank you for that wonderful imagery Rip. I was eating.

And thank YOU guys for the wonderful, stimulating, always-fun-to-answer questions on this board.