starting strength gym

Thread: hi-top shoes

Default hi-top shoes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    why did hi-top weight lifting shoes go out of favor, rip? was it a trade off to gain more ankle flexibility?

seems odd - for example, most boxing shoes seem to have retained the hi-top convention, while lifting went low-cut, despite an increase in overhead totals

have a great thanksgiving!

best!
    mike
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 11-21-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Hi-top shoes are still being made, and powerlifters wear them. I like the low-top weightlifting shoe because it doesn't restrict ankle motion, and is more applicable to more barbell exercises. I ordered a pair of the Safe Contender hi-tops from Titan about 3 weeks ago. We'll see how they fit if they ever get here.

i know this should be common knowledge, but what is your current recommendation for shoes Rip? the ones you recommend to broke college kids, hopefully made in canada.. the third edition costed me more in shipping than the actual book -__-

Rogue is the standard recommendation. They are in Ohio, pretty far north, so you can probably walk to their store.

Rogue actually has a Canadian website with weightlifting shoes...

http://www.roguecanada.ca/gear-appar...ting-shoes.php

I bought a pair of 2011 Rogues back in the spring and they are very fine quality. They have a Canadian warehouse out in Alberta, I believe, so you won't pay any high shipping costs. The shoes are about $130, but worth every penny. Not only that, but Rogue is a classy company with excellent customer service. The only problem I have with them is they don't seem to sell weightlifting belts. I bought a $67 belt from Inzer and paid almost the same amount in shipping. And the sizing is fucked. How in the hell is a 220 pound man on the last fucking hole of a Large belt??? Kind of deceiving when you sell 4-5 XL belts.

Gaining more weight is a better investment than buying another belt from Inzer, but it's hard when you don't eat sugar.

This is probably the 7th non-belt thread I've hijacked. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hi-top shoes are still being made, and powerlifters wear them. I like the low-top weightlifting shoe because it doesn't restrict ankle motion, and is more applicable to more barbell exercises. I ordered a pair of the Safe Contender hi-tops from Titan about 3 weeks ago. We'll see how they fit if they ever get here.
    A lot of the guys on the powerlifting team in my gym use those. The uppers are very similar to your shoes i think. They are made of good quality polishable leather, with a sturdy tarsel strap.

Sole on the otherhand is weird, it sort of 'pyramids', like a bevel. So the point where the sole connects with the uppers is narrower that the bottom surface of the sole.

Everyone who has them, after about 6 months use, start to notice that the stick on rubber sole at the bottom starts to peel off at the heel.

I tried to ask Alaniz about making the old Safe Olympic weightlifting shoe again, couldn't get my calls returned.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    i know this should be common knowledge, but what is your current recommendation for shoes Rip? the ones you recommend to broke college kids, hopefully made in canada.. the third edition costed me more in shipping than the actual book -__-
    Not to suggest that Mark recommended these, but Kanama Weightlifting makes shoes that you can buy from their gym in Toronto. Shoes are ~$100. Probably the biggest sell for me was the ability to try them on before buying - no guessing whether I should go half a size up or down from my street shoes, no wondering if they are wide enough for my feet, no worrying about return policies if the sizing was wrong like with ordering over the net.