starting strength gym

Thread: Red lighted deadlift, hitching? Rack pull time?

Default Red lighted deadlift, hitching? Rack pull time?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip, had a meet yesterday and was redlighted on my third attempt deadlift. The second was no different than the third in my opinion and got three whites, so I feel like they should have either both failed or both passed.

Here's the second that got three whites:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJo8agIXF6I

And the third that got red lighted:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nok9s2IgvOw

I didn't get to talk to the judges but I imagine I was called for resting the bar on my thighs even though it never really even slowed down let alone stopped moving. Is this technically hitching?

Regardless, my deadlift lockout is really ugly and something I need to work on. Would you recommend rack pulls for sorting this out and if so how heavy should I be doing them?

Thanks Rip, appreciate it.

I don't know about your federation, but the USPF rules used to be that any "supporting of the load on the thighs" during the pull is illegal. This allows for the call even if the bar doesn't stop. I'd have called both of them.

Thanks Rip, I was pretty sure that if the 3rd one was bad, the second one definitely was as well. Do you think rack pulls are appropriate in this case to try and train the lockout while actively eliminating the quads or am I better to just train the deadlift and concentrate on cleaning my lockout up there?

Rack pulls specifically fix this problem.