starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift weakness off the floor

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't think I see it, but I'll try to get a better video up soon. I'm sure you will be eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Oh GAWD yes. Do hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Because you may have been overtraining it.
    If only taking deadlifts from weekly to biweekly was part of the basic advice you offered, and had been mentioned in a context that hamburgerfan had read...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you doing the haltings/rack pulls version of training yet?
    What type of routine would one do going to haltings/rack pulls? I've watched the platform vids, but not sure as how to work them in or how heavy to go. Would that maybe be in Practical Programming?

You see Mstr, the halting/rack pull setup is actually something I was always skeptical of, due to my own love for higher volume and frequency in my training programs. I guess the least I can do is give it an honest try and see if it makes my deadlift go up.

Rip, is there any problem with doing speed deadlifts at a low percentage of 1RM on a different day in place of power cleans?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    What type of routine would one do going to haltings/rack pulls? I've watched the platform vids, but not sure as how to work them in or how heavy to go. Would that maybe be in Practical Programming?
    It might be in BBT3.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Rip, is there any problem with doing speed deadlifts at a low percentage of 1RM on a different day in place of power cleans?
    No problem at all. But they don't work as well as cleans.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    You see Mstr, the halting/rack pull setup is actually something I was always skeptical of, due to my own love for higher volume and frequency in my training programs. I guess the least I can do is give it an honest try and see if it makes my deadlift go up.
    Of course, if you're not progressing on higher frequency...

You could also consider it in this context: Since you're only doing partial reps, you'll be able to do more work over that range of motion. I.e., you'll be able to overload the bottom portion of your deadlift with haltings more than you could with a full deadlift, either by doing more reps or doing more weight (since doing five full deadlifts is more taxing than doing five haltings). So you're increasing the volume of work you're doing over that particular range, then you're giving it more time to recover by only doing that range every two weeks. It's the same principle that applies to switching to the Texas Method.

This could be an incorrect analysis, but I'm sure Rip will point out if it is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123