starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip's Chicken Fried Steak

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not according to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is a steak fried in a pan like a piece of chicken. Use a tenderized pork cutlet for the best flavor, or beef if you prefer. The cutlet must be either tenderized like a cube steak or beaten with a meat hammer. Salt and pepper the steak, roll it in flour, dip the rolled steak in a batter made of egg and milk, then roll it again in flour. Fry it in a heavy skillet in a half-inch of bacon grease, fairly hot, turning it only once when brown. It is traditionally served with cream gravy made with the drippings in the pan. I have make it for friends in the UK, to a warm reception.
    This is exactly what my mother still makes to this day. A mainstay of Polish cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    This is exactly what my mother still makes to this day. A mainstay of Polish cooking.
    It appears your mother made something that was coated in breadcrumbs, not flour, and fried in something other than bacon grease.

Quote Originally Posted by WildPegasus View Post
    It appears your mother made something that was coated in breadcrumbs, not flour, and fried in something other than bacon grease.
    Guess I deserved that. I didn't look too carefully at the wiki. Because of regional variations, she used either crumbs or flour, usually flour, but she did not use bacon grease as bacon was a luxury that made its way to the fridge infrequently, lard was used instead.

I do mine a little different. I soak the steak or pork in buttermilk for about an hour in the fridge salt and pepper. Then dredge it in flour and fry in bacon grease like Rip does. Bacon grease in a cast iron skillet is the key to it. The buttermilk helps keep it super tender

The cutlet machine is supposed to be the thing that makes it tender. And the flour-batter-flour process is what makes it a CFS.

Cutlet machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The cutlet machine is supposed to be the thing that makes it tender. And the flour-batter-flour process is what makes it a CFS.
    I thought the gravy made it a chicken fried steak, and a country fried steak is the same thing without gravy.

Although I've only had these once or twice, and I'm from Indiana so I wouldn't know.

Thank God there is a place in Korea that does a CFS pretty good. I can get one when I travel up to Seoul on occasion. But we call them Country Fried Steaks where I'm from in Tennessee.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    Cutlet machine?
    The rotating blade thingy that tenderizes a cube steak.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast