starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip's Chicken Fried Steak

Default Rip's Chicken Fried Steak

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, I read an interview with you recently where you claimed to make a mean chicken fried steak. I, being from England, have never heard of a chicken fried "steak". What is it, and how does one make it Rip style? I need to make a few new dishes on X-mas day, and there will be Amerrycuns present.

Cheers.

It is a steak fried in a pan like a piece of chicken. Use a tenderized pork cutlet for the best flavor, or beef if you prefer. The cutlet must be either tenderized like a cube steak or beaten with a meat hammer. Salt and pepper the steak, roll it in flour, dip the rolled steak in a batter made of egg and milk, then roll it again in flour. Fry it in a heavy skillet in a half-inch of bacon grease, fairly hot, turning it only once when brown. It is traditionally served with cream gravy made with the drippings in the pan. I have make it for friends in the UK, to a warm reception.

Rip is apparently the Paula Dean of the strength world.

Anyone who doesn't like CFS is... I don't know. Damnit. Now I really want CFS and gravy.

Sounds like you favor pork on this front, Rip. That's something of a specialty in my part of the country, but I tend to come down on the side of the beef.

How spicy do you like your gravy?

I eat them dry. My dad had a cafe while I was growing up, and he made them out of pork. They were the best in town, and nobody knew why.

My girlfriend's a vegetarian and non-gifted cook, one time she surprised me with 5lb of CFS, except she mistook the flour for pancake mix somehow. But protein is protein.

That's called a schnitzel around here and what it has to do with chicken is beyond me ;-)

In Germany/Switzerland/Austria it used to be pretty nearly the only food available when I drove around there a bit about 25 years ago. They're probably more cosmopolitan nowadays.

I make a pretty good schnitzel myself. My favourite variant is an old recipe of my mom's with a gravy made with sour cream and lemon juice.

Well that sounds delicious and suffiiciently calorie dense too. Thanks for the recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is a steak fried in a pan like a piece of chicken. Use a tenderized pork cutlet for the best flavor, or beef if you prefer. The cutlet must be either tenderized like a cube steak or beaten with a meat hammer. Salt and pepper the steak, roll it in flour, dip the rolled steak in a batter made of egg and milk, then roll it again in flour. Fry it in a heavy skillet in a half-inch of bacon grease, fairly hot, turning it only once when brown. It is traditionally served with cream gravy made with the drippings in the pan. I have make it for friends in the UK, to a warm reception.
    I am going to try this out on Friday night after work with my new cast-iron skillet. Looking forward to it!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I eat them dry. My dad had a cafe while I was growing up, and he made them out of pork. They were the best in town, and nobody knew why.
    Your dad made schnitzel.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast