starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power rack

Default Power rack

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Mark, I was in the process of building your power rack design, and to get the 22 inches between uprights you need 25 1/8 inch cross members (50 1/4 total inches for 2). Up in the corner of the plans (the materials list) you have total inches listed as 39 for 2 cross members. That is both in the book and on the equipment page of the website. I now have a hair over 16 1/4 between my uprights. I was going to leave it but I would like to do dips in the rack so I will just grind it down and buy longer cross members. I didn't notice until I was getting ready to drill holes for the top bar strap, then I realized it was wrong.

I also believe there is a mistake on the front and rear base c channel, the plans have 36 inches, I only got 30 because I placed the channel on the inside of the left and right base. There would not have been enough length to place them on the outside of the bases, but if there was you could get 38 inches. I feel comfortable with 30 inches though since I will be bolting it into the concrete.

And I also realize that I may be utterly wrong because I am a novice at fabricating. If I would have been more experienced I would have looked at the diagrams and caught it quicker. So check it out and let me know what you see. The rack looks great so far though, it should outlive me by several generations when it is completed.

Nice catch. Thanks. It will be corrected in the next printing, and on the website copy soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Hey Mark, I was in the process of building your power rack design, and to get the 22 inches between uprights you need 25 1/8 inch cross members (50 1/4 total inches for 2). Up in the corner of the plans (the materials list) you have total inches listed as 39 for 2 cross members. That is both in the book and on the equipment page of the website. I now have a hair over 16 1/4 between my uprights. I was going to leave it but I would like to do dips in the rack so I will just grind it down and buy longer cross members. I didn't notice until I was getting ready to drill holes for the top bar strap, then I realized it was wrong.

I also believe there is a mistake on the front and rear base c channel, the plans have 36 inches, I only got 30 because I placed the channel on the inside of the left and right base. There would not have been enough length to place them on the outside of the bases, but if there was you could get 38 inches. I feel comfortable with 30 inches though since I will be bolting it into the concrete.

And I also realize that I may be utterly wrong because I am a novice at fabricating. If I would have been more experienced I would have looked at the diagrams and caught it quicker. So check it out and let me know what you see. The rack looks great so far though, it should outlive me by several generations when it is completed.
    Out of curiousity, X, how much did the steel run you? And what kind of welding are you doing?

This is likely a dumb question, but can you buy stock having the holes or must they be drilled by a shop?

326.51 for the steel to be exact. I am stick welding it with 7018 rods. I can't find the invoice for the bolts that make bar hooks right now, but it was around 20 dollars for 2. Since I am doing my own labor, this will end up being cheaper than the piece of shit racks I had thought about buying.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    This is likely a dumb question, but can you buy stock having the holes or must they be drilled by a shop?
    My guys have not found a source for that C-channel pre-drilled.

Hello Mark, there is another mistake in the material list. The total inches for the uprights listed was 156, but i think these was the total weight of them. The total length would be 347".

Why 38 inches? Where do the additional 2 inches come from? I can't seem to find a mistake on the front and rear base channels, only that the left and right bases should total 72 inches instead of 60 (or 76 inches, if the left and right bases are supposed to be 38 inches long).

We're re-checking the whole thing now.

starting strength coach development program
    326.51 for the steel to be exact. I am stick welding it with 7018 rods. I can't find the invoice for the bolts that make bar hooks right now, but it was around 20 dollars for 2. Since I am doing my own labor, this will end up being cheaper than the piece of shit racks I had thought about buying.
    Hell, that ain't bad at all. Let us know how it turns out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast