starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Importance of Speed in Squatting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What unilateral exercise would you suggest that is enough like one side of a squat that it would actually apply to the whole leg in this situation?
    I suppose I phrased my question poorly. I wouldn't suggest any unilateral exercises. I didn't know if there was a more intelligent way to approach squat training in my situation, like maybe what Root suggests above. I'll get a video up of my next session to determine whether I really have an asymmetry issue.

I'm going to guess that "pistol squat" is not the answer you're looking for. Call it a hunch.

Alright. Now I am more paranoid about symmetry and rehabbing my right leg than getting lots of weight up.
    My wife pointed out the marks/bruises on my shoulders from the bar were not symmetrical and the middle of the bar was being placed toward my left (strong) side when I took the bar out of the rack. That coupled with feeling my left leg more sore than the right and clearly doing more work than the right leg in getting the bar up led me to try something other than continuing up from 250.
    I de-loaded to 185 and focused getting more weight on the right leg and made sure the bar was in the middle of my back not shifted to the left. I probably over did it but hey I'm working on it.

This is a video of my first successful set at 250 since my surgery. I know the last two reps aren't pretty but perhaps they demonstrate my asymmetry issues since I dip to the left on those reps

https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhsn

This is a video of my last workout warming up to 250. I felt the left leg doing most of the work and deloaded after this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wCkAqKvgcc

Bar weighs 185 pounds here and I tried to include my right leg in the exercise as much as possible. The views here are front, right side, and left side for sets 1, 2, and 3 respectively. I realize I am not using the bounce much but my emphasis is getting the right leg to do more work so next time I'll try to focus on the bounce as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Q6oSEA3kw

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong or could improve anything. Thanks again for your time.

They look pretty good to me. Quit worrying about this shit and squat. If it gets too bad, post another video.

Got some coaching from Grant at QC Barbell. It was a great experience and I got 250 for a solid 3x5, They were fast too. It is amazing what a difference loud music, a screaming coach and a belt make. I'm getting a belt on Monday.
    Thanks for your time Mark.

You lifting in your family room? if so thats fucking awesome

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zahn View Post
    You lifting in your family room? if so thats fucking awesome
    Yep it all hides underneath/behind the couches and in the utility closet.

This is how we set it up

http://squatpresspull.blogspot.com/2...in-closet.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12