starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Rack

Default Power Rack

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

I'm going through the process of building up the power rack as detailed in SS, just wondering if you can enlighten me...The bolts you use - can't get them.

Did find some suitable 35mm steel in the rack at college made a set of pins. With the bolts do you put a nut on the back end, or are you relying on the length sitting through the c channel to prevent the pin slipping when lifting the weight on and off?

ta for any info

I can get them. Why can't you? They are held in place with a nut. There is a picture on the pdf: http://startingstrength.com/files/po...n_rippetoe.pdf

I could order them through the local hardware shops, but because I live in rural australia we don't have a decent range of imperial and the price is ridiculous.

I made my own as scrap steel as it doesn't take much to make two pins, well not when tacked on to building a rack - feel free to read that as I'm too cheap to buy something when I can make it.

Is there any reason why the top bar is reduced in size down to 1 inch to go through the channel?

The bolt sizes appear to be different between the pdf and the drawing in the 3rd edition - please note I can't read imperial sizes to save myself I live in metric land.

The top bar is necked down to fit through a hole in the channel, which has 1.5 inch OD sides, less the thickness of the face. I don't see the bolt dimensions on the PDF. But I can help you read it.

It is a SIX INCH LONG AND ONE AND ONE-EIGHTHS INCHES IN DIAMETER BOLT. WITH A NUT THAT FITS IT.

Hope that helps.

I found some and I live in rural WA. Or was. Price was something like $20 at most.

The bolt needs a shank that's 50 mm long and the diameter needs to be whatever you drilled the holes, I used 30 mm rod. The rest is irrelevant.

In other words,mate, 150 mm long bolt and either a 28mm or 29 mm bolt as the 1.5" falls at ~28.5 mm

Rip,

Is the updated drawing ready?

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    I found some and I live in rural WA. Or was. Price was something like $20 at most.

The bolt needs a shank that's 50 mm long and the diameter needs to be whatever you drilled the holes, I used 30 mm rod. The rest is irrelevant.
    There has to be enough slop in the hole diameter that the pins can drop two holes from front to back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Rip,

Is the updated drawing ready?
    Not yet. I will prod him when I get back.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There has to be enough slop in the hole diameter that the pins can drop two holes from front to back.
    I forgot about that. It was a while ago. IIRC I drilled my holes 31 or 32 mm. 32 I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast