starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench press - squeezing shoulder blades together

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You haven't read the forum.
    This is another one of those times I wonder, "if this is what he lets through, what must he be deleting?"

I think searching Rippetoe, and bench press on youtube did the trick OP. I'm sure I picked it all up from there.

And if any of the "little Rips" on the forum get cheeky, PM them a kick in the balls.

No, raw 32, I didn't ask permission for anything.

Yes, Rip, I've purchased and read the book and I'm glad to contribute to your royalties because the book is an excellent read and a great reference guide and any money you make is well-deserved. I'll re-re-read the bench press chapter.

I was simply looking for a cue that might help me out. In the mean time, I lowered the bar rests and that seemed to help me out a lot. Reaching a bit higher upward tended to make me loosen my back. I just need to concentrate on it and it'll become second nature. I benched for years and never had so much as a twinge of shoulder pain, so my form probably hasn't been awful - I'm just trying to perfect it.

Tough crowd around these parts!

Von Scotch, yes, it seems there are several people here who copy Mark's shtick instead of being original. They're no fun!

Thanks to all for the comments, even raw32 for his stellar contribution.

While you're "re-re-reading", make sure pp 163-65 gets re-re-re-read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    While you're "re-re-reading", make sure pp 163-65 gets re-re-re-read.
    Touche. Will do. The Santa chimney example is in that section if I recall. I liked that one.

Here is a good looking guy that knows how to set a good arch and keep shoulder blades tucked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4z_KnD3bg

This is a similar technique to what Hurling was suggesting. Altough this technique works, you can also simply bridge up on your neck and tuck your shoulder blades that way.

Couple of points:

1. Make sure your bench surface is not slick. Before I had this bench re-upholstered it was a slick surface that would allow your shoulder blades to slide out of place during a set. That's why you see that purple yoga mat draped over the bench. The rubbery material really "grabbed" you and helped you lock into place.

2. Holding your shoulder blades in place during a bench has nothing to do with Barbell Rows. It has little to do with strength and much more to do with mastering the proper technique. Not saying that a big thick back won't help a bench press, but adding Barbell Rows to your routine will not improve your technique if you aren't doing it right.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Something that I've done for years that seems to help with setting my back to include my shoulder blades is to get my grip on the bar and then pull myself up toward the bar. Then lower back down and I'm on track. It might work for you too.
    This works for me as well. If you see Andys vid, he does it too. I'm not nearly as good at it as he is, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12