starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using chains for lifting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Interesting, most people say i'm too fiery, perhaps this disconnect is due to the fact that my gym doesnt have any Trainers in it

That's probably it. You have yet to have anything to be pissed about.

God willing it will stay that way

Part of the problem is that people think that's what effective for elite athlete "X" will be just as effective for them. This is almost never the case (I'd say "never the case," and omit the "almost," except I'm an engineer and like wiggle room in my statements), since the non-elite athlete is not performing the sport at anywhere near the percentage of their genetic capability that an elite athlete is.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 04-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michele View Post
    After the cf powerlifting cert we just hosted, i suspect it's only a matter of time before everyone is using chains. ah well. won't be me.
    I also suspect that chains becoming more mainstream is a result of Crossfit switching to Westside as their officially endorsed Strength/Powerlifting methods. Thus, we will soon see people attaching bands and chains to their PVC pipes. Unsure if this is funnier than the "all you, bro!" spotted benches that you see at big commercial gyms (and which you demonstrated so perfectly this weekend, Rip).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zahn
    What other people say to their clients shouldnt piss you off, it should only make you laugh, they arent forcing you to do it!, like Michele says, "wont be me."
    I'd also think this, if I didn't see such stupidity every single day. Even then, you'd think I'd become less sensitive to it over time. Yet somehow, my disgust only increases. I think it's because I often have to share space with these people, and have to wait to have my clients squat or press because they're using the rack for some impossibly stupid "exercise." While they text on their phone throughout the set. Fuckers. Count your blessings, Brian, that there are no trainers in your gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zahn View Post
    Interesting, most people say i'm too fiery, perhaps this disconnect is due to the fact that my gym doesnt have any Trainers in it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's probably it. You have yet to have anything to be pissed about.
    I have to say that their is a big difference between reading about these stories on an internet forum and actually witnessing someone being instructed to do lateral raises while standing on a bosu ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I also suspect that chains becoming more mainstream is a result of Crossfit switching to Westside as their officially endorsed Strength/Powerlifting methods. Thus, we will soon see people attaching bands and chains to their PVC pipes. Unsure if this is funnier than the "all you, bro!" spotted benches that you see at big commercial gyms (and which you demonstrated so perfectly this weekend, Rip).

I'd also think this, if I didn't see such stupidity every single day. Even then, you'd think I'd become less sensitive to it over time. Yet somehow, my disgust only increases. I think it's because I often have to share space with these people, and have to wait to have my clients squat or press because they're using the rack for some impossibly stupid "exercise." While they text on their phone throughout the set. Fuckers. Count your blessings, Brian, that there are no trainers in your gym.
    I can also see the hurt and disgust many of you feel being amplified if you share the same "profession" as these "trainers" albeit everyone here is surely at a much higher level

Everyone, surely.

*almost* everyone? or not even close?

starting strength coach development program
    There are a few wombats in the hill.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast