starting strength gym

Thread: Was I GM-ing my squats? Is it now fixed?

Default Was I GM-ing my squats? Is it now fixed?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

After looking over videos of you, Justin Lascek and Zach squatting, I've come to believe I've been good morning-ing my squats as my hips are coming up first, and none of yours do. I didn't realise the problem until I saw at the end of each rep I would lean back a bit and the bar would move backwards, meaning it had gone forwards during the rep.

Today I lowered the weight by about 15lbs and tried using less hip drive to try and stop overdoing it. I think I'm headed in the right direction, but if you could watch my videos and let me know, that would be very much appreciated.

I've searched all threads I could find about GM-ing squats, the book and read the sticky 'Posting videos on this board', so hopefully I won't have a repeat of before where I ask something that's been covered a lot (especially as my squat is specific to me).
    Anyway...

What I was doing before:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwYCAZVHkD4&t=0m37s

What I did today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIZ92bX0P_0&t=0m25s
    I know I'm looking forward and doing 6 reps. This is because I'm overly mindful of the new form and became distracted.

Does the new technique look better, or was the old one more along the right lines?

Just in case the comparison would be useful, I've also got this video of me doing my worst/most noticeable GM squats, when the weight became heavy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1vBNCSOBtc&t=0m20s
    Obviously I realise 3 videos is somewhat cheeky, so if you want to ignore this one go right ahead.

Many thanks!

The worst thing you're doing by far in all these videos is allowing you knees to collapse forward at the bottom. Every rep shows this, and your tendency to goodmorning the drive up is much less pronounced.

I see exactly what you mean. From what I've read this is usually knees coming in slightly that causes it? I'll make sure they stay completely out and don't change position next time I'm squatting.

For the GM-ing, I wonder would this be sorted out by the problem just mentioned being fixed? If not, I should still try and have the hips rise at the same speed as the shoulders, provided the knees thing is fixed also?

Thank you for letting me know about the knees and thanks for replying

As I said, the GM-ing problem you perceive as pivotal I am not terribly worried about. I'd have to see it after knees get fixed. Knees caving in and dropping forward are two different problems, the first being ext.rotators and the second being relaxed hamstrings. Your hamstrings are your problem.