starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you find this to be common?

Default Do you find this to be common?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip:

I'm a reformed crossfit guy, started 3 years ago, and quit a bit more than 2 years ago to get stronger. Seems to me strength is the most "functional" thing there is. . . But I digress.

Interesting -- at least to me -- observation: After every workout whilst in my x-fit phase, I religiously stretched. And continued doing so for a while as I began SS. About 3 months ago, out of pure laziness, I stopped post workout stretching. The other day, I stretched again and, lo and behold, my flexibility (hamstrings, groin, and quads) had not gotten worse over the three months; in fact, it had actually improved.

I've always been really good about a thorough warm up which includes dynamic stretching. But was surprised to see how my flexibility had done in the absence of any concerted effort.

As the title asks, is this relatively common?

Thanks and keep up the great work.

I have never been of the opinion that stretching is an important part of training for people of adequate flexibility, i.e. flexible enough to use the full ROM necessary for the training movements and sport-specific movements. Despite the exercise industry dogma, it is just not necessary for everybody, as you have observed.

Stretching sucks. And it is kryptonite for strong people. Only do certain warm up techniques for existing injuries and joint issues. But that's different than standard fare.

Before SS and during the very, very beginning as I was learning the lifts I had a lot of hip pain and did not know why.
    I had purchased books on stretching, and massage. I learned all about static stretching, dynamic stretching, active isolation stretching, and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation. I also discovered the mobility wod site.

I would do doorway static stretches for several minutes. I would do 4-6 rounds of PNF with my wife acting as resistance 15 seconds on 30 seconds off. I did hip flexor stretches, both static and PNF using a belt wrapped around my ankle that I could pull over my shoulder as the resistance. I got to where I was spending almost 45 minutes warming up for workouts. 30 of those minutes being stretching. I was getting massages at a rate of about once every two weeks.

The pain went on for months, but I worked out through it. I finally broke down and saw an orthopedic surgeon (I have pins in both of my hips) I got an X-ray, he told my that it could be a labrum tear and they would have to do a scope assisted MRI to confirm that, and if confirmed it would require surgery. I asked what I could do besides getting an MRI to rule out other possibilities. He told me he could refer me to his in house therapist ($150 per session) and she could work with me for a month or so and see if that improves it. I went to the therapist; which was a total waste of time and money, I told her what was going on and she asked me to show her the stretches that I was currently doing. She literally was shocked , and commented that I knew stretches that she didn't know and, asked where I learned them. Shortly after beginning the SS program the pain in my hip diminished and ultimately went away. Knowing what I know now, I am convinced that I had hip tendonitis from 3/4 squats that I had been doing. I stopped stretching completely when the pain went away, going about 7 months. One day out of the blue I laid down in my office doorway and put my fit in the jam for a doorway stretch. Like the OP I was quite surprised to find that I had gained at least 2-3 inches in hamstring flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    flexible enough to use the full ROM necessary for the training movements and sport-specific movements
    This is absolutely the key. As long as your body moves as much as it needs to, stretching is of little use, and perhaps, slightly detrimental. If, however, you have a range of motion restriction that keeps you from whatever activity you do, stretching properly can restore the range of motion.

I think Rip may agree with me that a lot of times, people who think they don't have flexibility are actually observing a lack of strength through a particular segment of a range of motion. Most people can do a full squat, but people who "can't go down low enough" are typically really weak at the bottom and as such, they restrict their own movement to keep them from getting into a position they subconsciously know they are too weak to get out of.

Quote Originally Posted by f4thpathway View Post
    Stretching sucks. And it is kryptonite for strong people. Only do certain warm up techniques for existing injuries and joint issues.
    This is as much rubbish as saying that everyone needs a 30 minute "dynamic warm up" prior to any actual training. Don't let the pendelum go too far in either direction. I agree that by and large stretching is un-necessary for most of us that train regularly with full ROM barbell movements, but it isn't "kryptonite" either.

Jsutt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by william_morris217 View Post
    I think Rip may agree with me that a lot of times, people who think they don't have flexibility are actually observing a lack of strength through a particular segment of a range of motion. Most people can do a full squat, but people who "can't go down low enough" are typically really weak at the bottom and as such, they restrict their own movement to keep them from getting into a position they subconsciously know they are too weak to get out of.
    As I understood it, flexibility is primarily a function of muscle strength. I'm not sure about the terms, but as a muscle lengthens its ability to contract hard decreases right? Once that ability to contract (i.e., strength) gets below a certain proportion of its ideal level your brain sends a strong 'contract' signal to the muscle. This stops it extending further to protect it from injury.

Visual aid:

The spike in the green line past the 5mm point is the contract reflex. So an increase in flexibility comes mainly from increasing the muscle's strength at that point in the ROM rather than increasing the length of the muscle because your muscle can already go that far. Your neural system just wont let it. Which if you think about it makes it obvious that strength training through a full range of motion is going to at least preserve, if not increase flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    This is as much rubbish as saying that everyone needs a 30 minute "dynamic warm up" prior to any actual training. Don't let the pendelum go too far in either direction. I agree that by and large stretching is un-necessary for most of us that train regularly with full ROM barbell movements, but it isn't "kryptonite" either.
    There are some arguments made for it being just that. But I wasn't as serious in that statement as you were in response.

My personal opinion (from reading what research I can find, and from my own experience) is that post-exercise stretching is helpful in recovery if the muscle groups being stretched are overly tight / spasming due to the training they underwent. In other words, if you feel OK after a workout, and nothing is tight or spasming, probably no need to stretch. But you might find it helpful if you are tight / spasming. Or not.

starting strength coach development program
    I had lower back problems for years and adopted post-workout stretching. At one point it early last year took me about 15 minutes and was focused on the back and neck but with a lot of other stuff for the shoulders and ankles and wrists. After getting my back in better working order through better lifting form I don't need as much stretching (8-10 minutes now) or as often.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast