starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘World’s Strongest Girl’

Default ‘World’s Strongest Girl’

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    FAIR LAWN, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — The world’s strongest girl is alive and well and living in om the Garden State suburbs.
    Naomi Kutin looks and acts like the typical 10-year-old, but she’s anything but typical.
    A YouTube video shot last week shows Kutin dead lifting 215 pounds. Kutin is a world-class power lifter, who first set the record last July.
    I know guys who can't lift as much as this little girl

I thought you would enjoy this quote from a sports medicine doctor:

Dr. Jordan Metzl said as a sports medicine doctor, watching Kutin on YouTube has him worried.
    “What I tell my patients is if the kids can’t lift the weight 15 times comfortably, it’s too much weight,” he told CBS 2′s Smith.
    Dr Metzl said children have growing bones and too much pressure can break surrounding growth plates and lead to intense pain as an adult.

Somebody else posted the video a couple of days ago, and I'm not going to post a video of a kid in this situation. But the pediatrician's comment is typical of the attitude within their medical specialty. They are not familiar with the literature on bone development, and they proceed to act as though they are.

I mean come on, her back is parallel with the floor at one point of the lift.

Video link removed.

Mark, do you know the origin of the premise that lifting weights can stunt the growth of a child?

I tried looking it up, but to no avail from the origin. A lot of "it's a myth", but no why it's a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    I mean come on, her back is parallel with the floor at one point of the lift.

Video link removed.
    Stupidfuck: Did I not just say I was not posting the link???

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
    Mark, do you know the origin of the premise that lifting weights can stunt the growth of a child?

I tried looking it up, but to no avail from the origin. A lot of "it's a myth", but no why it's a myth.
    Are you asking where the myth came from, or why it's a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you asking where the myth came from, or why it's a myth?
    Where it came from. Essentially who, or what organization, said that children lifting weights is a bad idea. I think the "where" will answer the "why".

It's a myth because it does not occur despite the predictions that it will. Who started it may be hard to figure out, but it probably derives from an unfamiliarity with the actual mechanisms of bone growth. You'd think this would be taught in medical school.

It's a myth because it does not occur despite the predictions that it will. Who started it may be hard to figure out, but it probably derives from an unfamiliarity with the actual mechanisms of bone growth. You'd think this would be taught in medical school.
    My mom started this in 1970 when I wanted to play little league.

It came from the doctor's oath of "do no harm". Originally it wasn't known what would happen with the growth plates and because its better to error to the side of safety, strength training was contraindicated for children.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree with SumDumGoi. Why don't you want the video posted, Rip?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast