starting strength gym

Thread: Any Insight on Scoliosis?

Default Any Insight on Scoliosis?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My wife and I were just informed that my daughter (age 8) might be developing scoliosis. Needless to say, we're very concerned. I was wondering if you might know about whether or not lifting (or other types of exercises) may or may not have any impact on correcting this over time.

I know that it's not the typical question, but snippets here and there suggest that scoliosis is an issue which begins at birth with the body being out of alignment and then the hips compensating in a way which is detrimental to the back. Chiropractic care is one of the suggested intervention methods, and we'll probably pursue that but my thought was that perhaps, if her body was subjected to the stresses of lifting weights it may compensate by tightening up ligaments and other physiological structures which could bring her body back into a more natural position. Since I have your book I know that you have a good amount of insight on how the body moves and develops in relation to stresses placed on it and I immediately thought you might have some knowledge which could be brought to bear on the situation.

Do you know if this is reasonable thinking or am I trying to get something out of strength training that isn't there? Can you point me in a proper direction?

I'd feel better about a snippet if it was written in a clear, understandable, logical way. This is, ah, highly speculative. I have no experience with severe scoliosis other than training people with it for short periods of time, and no experience at all with children.

A chiropractor told me once that scoliosis is fairly common.

If it is asymptomatic so far and just cosmetic I wouldn't imagine there is too much to worry about at this point. Just keep an eye on it and make sure the kyphotic curve of her thoracics doesn't continue to flatten and the the angle of the scoliosis doesn't increase. Your pediatrician will probably be able to do that with X rays a couple times a year. I actually asked one of my professors about a similar situation a few weeks ago and he told me he has had many patients with what looks to be really bad scoliosis on X ray totally fine and completely able to participate in high level athletics and weight training. Every case is unique though, hope it works out for your daughter that way.

You should read up on Lamar Gant. He had a pretty severe case of scoliosis, but was still able to dominate his weight class in powerlifting for a decade.

starting strength coach development program
    I have scoliosis which prevents me from playing sports with excessive twisting of the torso (golf, baseball, hockey) but weightlifting has never been a problem. In fact, when I lift weights after a hard day at work, I enter the gym in more back pain than when I leave. Benching with a solid arch, in particular, helps greatly. I often have to painfully squirm into proper position on the first couple sets, but by the end the pain is usually gone completely.

My scoliosis first appeared at 13, and I looked like mr. burns for most of the summer when I wasnt confined to the couch. I went to physio, but they only did ultrasound (which I think only did as much good as a massage would do) and some fairly silly exercises like prone lateral raises with soup cans. If I could influence the past I certainly would have got my former self to lift weights instead.