starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Testosterone Levels

Default Testosterone Levels

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello.

I made a post a couple weeks ago and Mark suggested I get a testosterone test.

I did, my results are 310 ng/dl which appears to be pretty low for a 20 year old 6'2, 220lb male.

It's funny because I was told I had a "normal level" but not the result, which I had to almost pry from my doctors hands.

Could this be a significant contributor to my slow progression? How should this problem be handled?

Getting another doctor would be a good start.

This is fairly low, indeed. Good luck finding a doctor that knows how to fix it and better luck still finding one willing to do something about it. Why are doctors so fond of not showing the results some patients' test?! I've never seen this in Brazil, almost always it's the patient that brings the test to me for me to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    This is fairly low, indeed. Good luck finding a doctor that knows how to fix it and better luck still finding one willing to do something about it. Why are doctors so fond of not showing the results some patients' test?! I've never seen this in Brazil, almost always it's the patient that brings the test to me for me to check it out.
    I request a copy mailed to me from the lab anytime I get lab work done. I think it's a good practice 1. So that you have a copy that you can compare later labs to, and 2. Because most of the time it saves me from having a follow up so that the doctor can tell me everything is fine.

I wish it was easier in America to get labwork and scans done without doctors. It's possible for some labwork but it's not convenient.

How does one go about getting such a test? What signs or symptoms would a man have that would suggest low Test levels? Could these signs and symptoms be misinterpreted and then the GP( physician, Dr ) tell the patient there is no need for a test.

A quick scan of the web will show you that you are not alone. It seems a very high percentage of young men have low testosterone. Before you panic you should educate yourself. Many things can affect your levels at any specific time, for example, did you have a blood sample taken late in the day? The morning after a heavy deadlift workout? Were you fasted so you could check other things, (blood sugar, cholesterol, etc). It is also important to know what your free vs total test levels are.

It may be heresy posting a T-Nation link here, but the T-Replacement board is pretty good and ksman's stuff is excellent.

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl...ybuilding_trt/

Read up generally before trying to find a sympathetic doctor.

Doctors will say a 300 is a normal level but it's on the very low end of the normal range. If you are not symptomatic at all you may be fine with that level but the doctor's on the forefront of testosterone replacement therapy would most likely consider 300 a level that needs to be treated.

On the other hand you are young and there are some side effects that can come from TRT. Go see a urologist or 2.

How do you proceed if you want to show your test results to another doctor?

I just had the results (350 for 30yo male 5'10" 210ish) and my doctor wasn't too concerned either. This is after 4 months of heavy lifting and an improved diet, so I'm afraid of what my T levels where when I ate fast food practically every day and didn't exercise.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by b17vic View Post
    How does one go about getting such a test? What signs or symptoms would a man have that would suggest low Test levels? Could these signs and symptoms be misinterpreted and then the GP( physician, Dr ) tell the patient there is no need for a test.
    One goes to one's doctor and asks for the test. Low testosterone levels are indicated by a suite of symptoms that you are already aware of if you have asked anybody else besides me. All tests can always be misinterpreted by your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    How do you proceed if you want to show your test results to another doctor?
    Carlos, why are you asking me this? You take a copy of the results to another doctor and show him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFuzz1290 View Post
    I just had the results (350 for 30yo male 5'10" 210ish) and my doctor wasn't too concerned either. This is after 4 months of heavy lifting and an improved diet, so I'm afraid of what my T levels where when I ate fast food practically every day and didn't exercise.
    Your doctor will never be as concerned as you should be.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast