starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest Pause aka Cluster Reps/ Sets?

Question Rest Pause aka Cluster Reps/ Sets?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In all your experience with strength training have you observed or even used Cluster Reps/ Sets? I've read on the web some refer to them as Rest Pause. I've got SS and PP on my Kindle PC and I've searched for Cluster's but nothing is found and I don't recall reading anything about it when I read through both books. Do you think that this type of training has any use regarding the slow lifts and if so how would one start to implement it initially into their training?

Please describe them for us, so we're all using the same terms.

Okay so what I'm specifically referring to is a style of training where a rep or reps would be performed, depending on the load, and a short rest taken. I guess you could call it a micro rest in that the length of the rest would only be very short as opposed to a few minuets, perhaps just enough time to get some more air. Example, lets just say I'm shit hot a getting the bar into position for a squat and I can do it efficiently and quickly without having to fidget around for 25 secs. So I get the bar on my back step out do a good rep or two then quickly ( because I'm just that skilled :-D ) re rack the bar and have a breather for about 10-20 secs and repeat. Is this enough of a description for you to realize if you have ever witnessed this type of training and if so can it be of use?

This is basically how a DE workout is performed. A cluster of 10 doubles/triples/singles with 45-60 seconds between the sets. Yes, I have done them, they are in the book.

Oh I see. . . . it seems I may have had a miss understanding of terms then. Thanks for clearing this up!

I've just re-read page 184 to 188 PP ( on my kindle ) and I'll be utilizing DE on my Fri sessions. Just got to find the best load but so long as I can move the load faster than my maximal loads AND complete all the reps & sets without slowing down I'm on the right track. . . . . .

For what it's worth, "Rest Pause" usually refers to doing a set of an exercise to failure, racking the bar for a very brief rest (maybe 10 seconds), then attempting to get a couple of more reps, racking for another brief rest, then a final set.

Usually would look something like this for example:

Set 1: 10 reps
    (rest 10 seconds)
    Set 2: 1 rep
    (rest 10 seconds)
    Set 3: 1 rep

The idea is to allow you to work past the point of "momentary muscular failure." So it's different than dynamic stuff, seems to be more popular in body building circles.

BVic,

I think you have a misunderstanding of what Rest-Pause training is. It is NOT the same thing as DE training. Not even close.

Rest - pause is generally a technique used in bodybuilding and is a "set extender" like drop sets, forced reps, etc.

Rest-pause generally has you pick a predetermined amount of reps - maybe 30. You pick a weight that will allow you to get 15 reps and do it. Then you rack the weight....rest for about 15-20 breaths, unrack the weight and knock out a few more, maybe 5. You keep doing this process until you reach 30.

It is quite useful for bodybuilding type training, but is a BITCH to recover from and can't be used very often. Dorian used to use them quite a bit as I understand.

That's not my understanding of what rest-pause training is, and that's not how it's used in the context of e.g. DC training, which is as an intensity technique for stimulating hypertrophy.

Although you could rest-pause your squats, it would suck and be potentially dangerous, so I think at least in DC training it's not recommended. The way I've done it is to load up a bar for e.g. a bench press with a weight I can do maybe 8 reps with before failure. I do the set to failure and rack the bar. I take 15 or 20 breaths, unrack and perform another set to failure, where I might hit 4 or 5 reps. Rack it again, another 15-20 breaths, and a final set to failure. The goal is to keep the total rep count in a certain range, maybe 12-15. After the third set to failure you're done with the movement.

This is very different from DE work.

starting strength coach development program
    This is why I wanted him to clarify.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast