starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steroids Currently Being Used by Weightlifters in the Olympics?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I haven't seen the podcast. How much do the two lifters squat/deadlift/press? And more importantly, how much have these improved this year? Do they say? Wouldn't these numbers indicate their commitment to gaining strength?
    I haven't listened to this particular episode of the podcast. I don't know their exact numbers. I'm not aware of progress they have made on the lifts. I agree that it would be a good indicator of gaining strength and maybe they aren't as committed as they should be. But I think that the quote I was responding to makes it seem like they don't think you need strength. I think they'd agree that strength is very important. But again, I'm not sure if their improvements show this.

So these untraceable roids must be used across the board then?

No,no,no you all got this wrong, the real truth is that the Iranians have super steroid(they look just like tic-tacs, and one pill is the equivalent of a 20kg increase in both of the lifts and that they actually built their nuclear program as a diversion from the even bigger super steroid program that they use for their lifters.

I love the fact that the people form a country that just sent something to Mars are claiming that an inferiority in any aspect is, rather than the "human" factor, the real key for their failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilan View Post
    So these untraceable roids must be used across the board then?
    I'm not a steroid expert and I hate steroid debates, but a lot of these lifters are able to be on steroids during the year due to more lax testing regulations in other countries. Federations basically make sure their athletes pass and then they can cycle off come Olympic time/world champs etc where they will be tested by an outside organization. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. To say steroids aren't at all related to why the US isn't as good at weightlifting is silly. To say that it is the sole reason is stupid, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    a lot of these lifters are able to be on steroids during the year due to more lax testing regulations in other countries. Federations basically make sure their athletes pass and then they can cycle off come Olympic time/world champs etc where they will be tested by an outside organization. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. To say steroids aren't at all related to why the US isn't as good at weightlifting is silly. To say that it is the sole reason is stupid, too.
    This is undeniably true.

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    I haven't listened to this particular episode of the podcast. I don't know their exact numbers. I'm not aware of progress they have made on the lifts. I agree that it would be a good indicator of gaining strength and maybe they aren't as committed as they should be. But I think that the quote I was responding to makes it seem like they don't think you need strength. I think they'd agree that strength is very important. But again, I'm not sure if their improvements show this.
    Well, Pendlay films their training sessions, on Saturday Jon North squatted 195kgx5x3. In a video posted on 3/26/12, he squatted 180kgx5x3. I'm not commenting on whether that is strong enough or enough progress, I'm just pointing out that the information about these guys' lifts aren't that hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    So they don't think strength is that important, but steroids are the reason the competition is winning? Is there a disconnect there or am I missing something?
    These two lifters say on the same podcast that strength is of paramount importance, and that all other things being equal, the stronger person will do more on the two lifts. So I don't know where you get the notion that they don't think strength is important.

And yes, steroids are a huge factor. Not the only factor, but a huge one. People are not getting tested with no advance notice multiple times a week in most other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by williamlexcrawford View Post
    Well, Pendlay films their training sessions, on Saturday Jon North squatted 195kgx5x3. In a video posted on 3/26/12, he squatted 180kgx5x3.
    As an aside, does this seem a little, well, low to anyone else? Shouldn't a strength athlete trying to go to the Olympics be, well, capable of squatting more?

Quote Originally Posted by williamlexcrawford View Post
    Well, Pendlay films their training sessions, on Saturday Jon North squatted 195kgx5x3. In a video posted on 3/26/12, he squatted 180kgx5x3. I'm not commenting on whether that is strong enough or enough progress, I'm just pointing out that the information about these guys' lifts aren't that hard to find.
    Yeah, I am aware of these videos. I'm just not sure what their PRs are or what they squat every week. I just know that they squat and push press quite a bit as a team.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is undeniably true.
    The rumor going round is that Koklyaev didn't lift at the Olympics because he tested positive in the pre-games testing the Russians did.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast