starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steroids Currently Being Used by Weightlifters in the Olympics?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    That happens occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    As an aside, does this seem a little, well, low to anyone else? Shouldn't a strength athlete trying to go to the Olympics be, well, capable of squatting more?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qppMv8cCepc
    Similar to other of our 94s:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SRkt0-3Y7o

Though yes, seeing as how Ilyin made a 233kg clean look like a bad joke, they had best not forget where the rack is.

As an aside, does this seem a little, well, low to anyone else? Shouldn't a strength athlete trying to go to the Olympics be, well, capable of squatting more?
    Yes, it does. After a year and a half of SS/TM, I was squatting ~183 kg for a triple and my calculated 1RM was 197 kg at a body weight of 93 kg. I've always found my best lifts to be quite laughable at the competitive level, but his numbers aren't impressive for a competitive lifter in the 94 kg weight class. I don't care who you are or where you're from, that's just a fact as far as I can tell.

My whole point is that I'm not terribly strong and have no business competing, yet the numbers being filmed aren't that much higher than the numbers I was putting up after doing TM. At least he's doing them for sets.

Quote Originally Posted by forgeforth View Post
    Yes, it does. After a year and a half of SS/TM, I was squatting ~183 kg for a triple and my calculated 1RM was 197 kg at a body weight of 93 kg. I've always found my best lifts to be quite laughable at the competitive level, but his numbers aren't impressive for a competitive lifter in the 94 kg weight class. I don't care who you are or where you're from, that's just a fact as far as I can tell.

My whole point is that I'm not terribly strong and have no business competing, yet the numbers being filmed aren't that much higher than the numbers I was putting up after doing TM. At least he's doing them for sets.
    I don't know if this guy, Clarence Kennedy, has ever been commented on here before (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV6sKV8nMq0&feature=plcp) - he's an 18 year-old kid from Ireland, totally self-trained as far as I can tell, who at 88 kg can already clean and jerk more than I've seen any of Pendlay's lifters do (with the exception of Donny Shankle). He claims to be steroid-free, and I have no reason not to believe him. The point is that sometimes, some people are just more genetically gifted than others, and moaning about steroid use (though it surely plays its part) just comes across as sour grapes.

Jon North is not a great squatter and he has said that he has weak legs. I imagine that he does want to gain strength and is squatting regularly to help this.

What is amazing is that Jon's best snatch and clean in training is something like 166/192 in training. Its been thrown around on the internet that steroids give you about a 20kg boost per lift if I recall correctly. If that is the case, Jon should be doing 186/212. Ilya Ilin has done at least 192.5/235 in training so even with steroids, Jon would still lose. Same thing with Shankle. He has done 175/212 in training I think so with a 20kg boost he would be at 195/232. Akkaev has done 210/245 and does not get very heavy in the off season (108kg is what he reports). So even with steroids, Shankle lags behind. Akkaev and Ilya still beat Shankle and North if you Shankle and North experienced no drop in performance from training to competition weights.

While drugs are definitely a reality in this sport, these lifters should spend less time strengthening their mouths from ranting and speculating about others who they dont even train with, and focus on getting faster and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusD View Post
    these lifters should spend less time strengthening their mouths from ranting and speculating about others who they dont even train with, and focus on getting faster and stronger.
    These guys do train extremely hard from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    These guys do train extremely hard from what I have seen.
    No one has even suggested otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusD View Post
    While drugs are definitely a reality in this sport, these lifters should spend less time strengthening their mouths from ranting and speculating about others who they dont even train with, and focus on getting faster and stronger.
    I agree that these guys train hard and are certainly inspirational to the rest of us who are just trying to get strong but I find it annoying that they take time to rant and speculate about other more successful lifters period. It is like they are accepting defeat by pointing out these, possibly true, reasons that other countries out-lift us rather than just slogging on and working hard.

I find their competition lifts and training videos more impressive when it isn't associated with excuses and general complaining, which really shouldn't be a part of a national level lifters character and behavior anyway.

starting strength coach development program

You are missing something important: you don't know where in the program those lifts fit. What if he's doing that every day or every other day? In other words:

How much would he be squatting if he peaked for a 1RM? You have no idea based on that video.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast