starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steroids Currently Being Used by Weightlifters in the Olympics?

Default Steroids Currently Being Used by Weightlifters in the Olympics?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would like to hear your thoughts / experience on the notion that weightlifters in the Olympics today are using steroids.

This came about after listening to some "top tier american" (I use the term loosely) lifters rambling on their own talk show that the reason the USA doesn't perform well in the Olympics for weightlifting is because all the other nations are currently using steroids. They go on to state various stories (which may very well be just stories) as to how other nations pay off the anti-doping agencies, "beat the system" and what not. They also say that they get tested every day and so they have to remain squeaky clean, but other countries have less strict regulations; as well as other countries looking for ways to create undetectable performance enhancing drugs.

This also goes in line with Hysen Pulaku being popped for steroids recently.

I know you touched on it briefly with your "Is Olympic Weightlifting Strength Training?" and that what the notion of steroid use does is expose the fact that all other countries are much stronger than the USA in weightlifting (period!).

I agree, we are a "weak" nation that doesn't understand simple physics and efficient bar paths, but just would like to hear what you think about pointing the steroid finger at other countries by USA lifters. As well as, is it possible that other countries are able to fall between the anti-doping cracks and get lifters to the Olympics who are on steroids?

Side note - Ilya Ilins 233 kg C & J was amazing and might be in the running for your title of "TMPHBITEU"

I'm not going to comment on accusations by American weightlifters regarding their betters in the sport. That would be stupid of me. All I'll say is that the best lifters in the world do what they have to do to get strong enough to win. This involves several layers of risk, including the risk of failure. When you fail, at least have the class and professionalism to shut the fuck up.

So they don't think strength is that important, but steroids are the reason the competition is winning? Is there a disconnect there or am I missing something?

Technique steroids, all the rage these days.

Whilst I don't have any great knowledge of this sort of thing, I would imagine that if undetectable steroids exist, that American athletes would have access to them as well.

We all have the same steroids. We always have had the same steroids, the same tests, the same barbells, and the same access to the same programs. What is different is the athletes that use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    So they don't think strength is that important, but steroids are the reason the competition is winning? Is there a disconnect there or am I missing something?
    The two lifters who run that podcast believe strength is important I believe and are actively trying to get stronger. I know that their coach believes in improving strength, albeit with different methods than you may agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is different is the athletes that use them.
    This is a hard, bitter pill to swallow though Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    The two lifters who run that podcast believe strength is important I believe and are actively trying to get stronger. I know that their coach believes in improving strength, albeit with different methods than you may agree with.
    I haven't seen the podcast. How much do the two lifters squat/deadlift/press? And more importantly, how much have these improved this year? Do they say? Wouldn't these numbers indicate their commitment to gaining strength?

starting strength coach development program
    Rubbish. They all take tribulus, that's how they get mega strong.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast