starting strength gym
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Strength Standards Tables are back up.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
    Ok but the numbers were obviously chosen for some reason, I'm just curious as to why gaps are neither even nor decreasing. Because the gaps are so irregular it tells me that they were done that way for a specific reason, so I'm just curious as to what that reason is. If the numbers are purely arbitrary and chosen for no specific reason at all, I'm willing to accept that as well.
    Common Rip, he's willing to accept "that as well". Now you gotta answer his question without sarcasm.

Should it also be noted that these guidelines are different for geezers? I know that the Killustrator has age groups as part of the tables offered there.

Out of curiosity, how many hours, or minutes as the case may be, after you posted these updated tables until you first regretted doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Already people are patting themselves on the back for level III. Deary me
    I agree. (and I never agree with Kregna)

Level III indicates that you are now not a complete pussy.
    You should realize that you shouldn't have been below that since you were old enough to drive, and that civilization has failed you.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many hours, or minutes as the case may be, after you posted these updated tables until you first regretted doing so?
    At 12:41pm today, when post #14 went up. All tables of this type are bullshit, to a certain extent. But, we made them years ago, people are somehow still interested in using them, they were going to use them anyway, they are ours, so we thought, what the fuck? Put them up, rename the categories to solve the problem of association between the table and PPST, let everybody use them if they say where they came from, and go on.

Except Adam wants to know why the jump between Cat2 and 3 at 181 is different than Cat2 and 3 at 198. The answer is, I don't remember. We did them in 2006. Me and Lon pulled them out of our asses, okay? He pulled some out of my ass, I pulled some out of his ass. They are meaningless bullshit. If you are even semi-conscious you will IGNORE THEM COMPLETELY. But if you reproduce them, say where you got them.

Here's my table.
    Deadlift = 500
    Squat = 400
    Bench = 300
    Press = 200
    Power Clean = 250 although I'm not so sure about this one.

I made a table like this and scaled it from 5 to 500. I like round numbers. I had the equivalent of 100 categories (it's a table going from 5 to 500, 4 to 400, 3 to 300, 2 to 200). I use it as a guide to tell me what my other lifts should or could be if one of my lifts is a certain number. It's an old general rule that's been published many decades ago and people are still debating on it until now. I think people called it ratios, so that's what I called my table.

Or you could go to your favorite powerlifting records website (there are many) and get the raw lifts vs the body weights of competitors. Of course, those numbers would be competition levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Except Adam wants to know why the jump between Cat2 and 3 at 181 is different than Cat2 and 3 at 198. The answer is, I don't remember. We did them in 2006. Me and Lon pulled them out of our asses, okay? He pulled some out of my ass, I pulled some out of his ass. They are meaningless bullshit. If you are even semi-conscious you will IGNORE THEM COMPLETELY. But if you reproduce them, say where you got them.
    That works for me, thanks Rip. I always sort of read the headings as something like "Typical early level", "Getting better", "Decent", "Pretty good", and "Excellent" and that those were in comparison to what someone with experience might expect from the average person in that weight class. It's clearly just a reference for someone who has absolutely no clue what a good bench would be for example for someone of their size, just to give them some vague perspective. And now that I have talked about it far too much, I will ignore it and never bring it up again.

Nice meeting you briefly in Mississauga the other weekend as well, thanks again for taking the time to chat a bit!

...people are somehow still interested in using them...
    I'm guessing it's for the same reason that people still pray at the altar of the bicep curl god: ego. It's nice to "know" you have a Cat4 squat and a Cat3 bench. Although I'm sure removing the "intermediate, advance, elite" categories will deflate that a little.

Not sure why the jumps would be different for different weights, but aren't they pretty close to body weight multipliers (+/- a few pounds)?

Spot on tdood, from someone who has just crept back to weights achieved with ease aged 17, 20 yrs ago.

And the powerclean numbers are just to fuck with people's heads...........

starting strength coach development program
    At 12:41pm today, when post #14 went up. All tables of this type are bullshit, to a certain extent. But, we made them years ago, people are somehow still interested in using them, they were going to use them anyway, they are ours, so we thought, what the fuck? Put them up, rename the categories to solve the problem of association between the table and PPST, let everybody use them if they say where they came from, and go on.

To further satisfy us, would you please offer SS-sanctioned weightlifting belts in distinct colors to commemorate movement into each category. Merit belts for each category and each lift will really expand your product line.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast