starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No less than ten rep squats for oly lifters

Default No less than ten rep squats for oly lifters

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,

I've come across Dan John's advice regarding never squatting heavier than 10s , what do you think about this approach for an olympic lifter? It goes well with the rumour that Alekseyev allegedly never squatted heavier than he could clean so I've thought about giving it a shot.

I'm using the texas method template for my squatting and alternate the weeks with squats and front squats so one week will be 5RM and 5x5@90%5RM squats on monday and friday with fronts 2x5@75%5RM on wednesdays and the next week lifts will change places. My idea is to use the same template and simply upping the reps on squats to 10RM, 5x10@90%5RM and 2x10@75%5RM while still doing 5's on fronts, what do you think?

I think that if you want to lift lighter weights, 10s are a good way to make that happen.

Wow, really? If you want to lift heavier weights, you have to become stronger. What improves strength more, sets of five or sets of ten?

Read the great article by Bill Starr adorning the SS main page.

Surely his opinion is obvious?

Haha, good point, especially since one often sees top lifters doing singles. I don't fully buy it though, for an oly lifter the back squat is merely an assistance lift and should be incorporated as such. No one would frown at a bench presser doing 10s in assistance lifts such as push downs or dumbell rows. Note that I'm not talking about cutting out heavy front squats, cleans and snatches, only back squats.

Quote Originally Posted by sWolegren View Post
    I don't fully buy it though, for an oly lifter the back squat is merely an assistance lift and should be incorporated as such.
    Ha. The squat is the equivalent of the barbell curl. Excellent analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Ha. The squat is the equivalent of the barbell curl. Excellent analysis.
    Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that they'd started doing squats in weightlifting competitions. I could have sworn they only did snatches and clean & jerks at the olympics but I must not have paid attention. Stupid and arrogant answers, I had expected more but your brown nosed entourage seem to like it

You're right, swole. We owed you better than this. I sincerely apologize for assuming you knew what the fuck we were talking about here, and have been talking about here for the past two fucking years in thousands of posts about this in dozens of threads.

Quote Originally Posted by sWolegren View Post
    My idea is to use the same template and simply upping the reps on squats to 10RM, 5x10@90%5RM and 2x10@75%5RM while still doing 5's on fronts, what do you think?
    Let me get this straight...you're thinking that you'll DOUBLE the volume you're doing now, and that you'll be able to handle that?

starting strength coach development program
    I have a hard time believing that Dan John tells competitive Oly lifters to only squat sets of 10.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast