starting strength gym

Thread: Karwoski/Coan + Linear Periodization

Default Karwoski/Coan + Linear Periodization

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Iv'e read from various sources, including Marty's Purposeful Primitive, that the way Karwoski and Coan trained, virtually through their whole careers, was just on a linear periodization template.

Starting light and working up to a top set of 8 in the first week, they would eventually get down to heavy doubles and singles by week 12, setting PRs in the process.

This is so much like Starting Strength or just a typical LP it sounds almost too good to be true. The beginning of each new cycle seems just like a "reset" in an LP, the only differences I can see is that you cycle through the various rep ranges; from 8 to 1.

Is this difference (and a few other variables I'm sure that would have been tweaked) really enough to illicit a lifetime of gains? Or am I missing some crucial points?

Depends on what you mean by "a lifetime". It certainly works for several years.

I just re-watched Mark's interview with Ed and Marty yesterday. You should check it out, Ed talks through what he did.

On a side note, his comment at the 15 minute mark, "I didn't miss" got me through my 3rd set last night.
    He's so matter of fact. The concept of "fail" doesn't exist in his head. You just stick to your program and lift the weight, it's no big thing. Then the whole conversation of being 49 with an 1800 total...damn. Pretty inspiring stuff, thanks Mark.

There is one crucial point that often doesn't get mention: Big balls to man up to heavy weights are really enough to illicit gains. All you need is a half decent program suited to your skill level that piles up the weight as you go along.

Would you say that this type of simple progression at the advanced level, is dependent upon PED's?

Or would it be just as affective for a natural lifter just with proportionately lower numbers?

starting strength coach development program
    It's not a simple progression in the sense that the novice progression is simple. It is not dependent on drugs to work. Try it. Surely to god you are advanced enough by now, Dastardly.