starting strength gym

Thread: The defense opens - back extensions

Default The defense opens - back extensions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Howdy Mr. Rip...huge wall of text ahead, just a heads up =)
    (but it has a definitive/definitive question)

I have used your suggestion for searching these forums, extensively, to seek the answer to my question, as I realized that it was not a 'highly original question', punkin'

However, my week-long quest for success revealed many insights but none that answered my 'highly original question'. Many people have asked what I am about to ask either in your Q & A or in the general forums. In the general forums there has been some limited discussion, but from the threads placed in your Q & A you have not responded and placed the question into 'Repetitive injuries'...(I laughed when you put my Elvis thread into 'Food & Drink', obviously to that was to show how to get calories!)

Anyway, my 3rd run at your program, 41 years old - 20 years of useless gym time behind me...my first run ended late last year, I got married and went on a huge overseas jaunt - ate, drunk, had a ball, I promise I'll never do it again. But before all that I got a taste of SS, liked it.

Came back and had my second run. I have shoulder issues...broken collar-bone, age, lots of silly-shit and can't get my form right on low-bar squats so my elbows played up. As it turns out it wasn't my elbows, it was my triceps? My knowledge says that the front arm muscles are the biceps and the back ones are the tri-thingees. So I dunno what caused the issues, outside of my area of knowledge, but I guess it was my technique.

3rd run is now..and things have just gone bad. My weights are dropping/regressing. I think it was a Sunday, I pulled a 150kg workset on deads. Tuesday, my back was still pumped and tight (felt good, I like that feeling), but I just didn't have it in me to go lift, so I dropped the workout to Wednesday...one thing lead to another and I got all out of pattern, weights have gone backwards, squats have dropped to 120kg. So I just stopped, had a week off.

Started again last Sunday, realized that I am not recuperating properly within 2 days. So I programmed myself a light day. Some squats, dips (haven't done them in ages as it is not part of the program), and some other silly shit. Then I went and read my copy of PP2. 'ding' (sound of light switching on)

And there was the answer..page 110 and 111. The workout I want to follow before I am forced to move to TM.

However, there was one exercise I am unsure of. Back extension. So I went and read my copy of SS3. The outcome was that a Roman chair would cost me around 200 NZ pesos and a glute/ham bench around $NZ600.

Umm, the $200 is achievable but will cost me my new 4" belt from best belts. ($US79 + $US55 postage = $NZ185) Yes, I am looking for a second-hand Roman chair but in a small population that will not probably happen very quickly.

I then googled alternative exercises and also asked in other threads what else I could try...answers showed all sorts of things....I refuse to buy/use a big balloon/bosu ball. It may work for some, but come-on! I do have some principles.

So, finally my question: If I want to stick to the program on pages 110 and 111 of PP2, and I don't have a roman chair, what can I do? I really do want to milk every single gain from LP. TM and other intermediate programs look messy, however I will be following your TM from T-nation and PP2.

So...will you give me something alternative to back extensions? or do you think I should put off buying the new belt and buy the Roman chair?

The defense now rests..and calls Mr. Rip to the stand, chortle....^ ^

You are crazy to pay that much for a belt. Go on to Australian eBay and search 'outbak belt'. I've had mine for four years and it's still going strong.

Nice! think i'll go make another couple of bacon-and-egg toasted sandwiches and read it again. Reading about 'abs' makes me hungry