starting strength gym

Thread: Analysis Paralysis

Default Analysis Paralysis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Everytime I work on improving my squats they feel a little better during the set, but after watching the videos it looks like my form actually regresses at times. When I try to emphasize or focus on improving one area (setting the knees on the descent, lumbar flexion in the hole, etc.) some other aspect of my form seems to suffer.

How does one stop overthinking every minute detail and just move the damn bar? It is something I struggle with and I am sure others have had this same problem as well. How have you helped clients over the years overcome this 'analysis paralysis'?

Stop looking at your videos and get some coaching.

At the risk of setting off another and a different OCD loop, may I suggest this?

Alter your focus inward to how the reps feel. Once you have had some coaching as to what a good set of movements and reps feels like as you do them, you can use those tactile and sensory "bookmarks" to get a sense of your performance. An external and visual focus can drive someone (not just you) into a do-loop that will only result in less than you can achieve. Kind of like Obi-Wan advising Luke when he said, "Use the force Luke."

I am confident I get mocked more than a little here for my Eastern ooga-booga tendencies that have spilled over from martial arts into a lot of things I do, but then again some of it actually works for someone else besides me.

You did martial arts, Mark?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You did martial arts, Mark?
    See? This is what I mean by mockery. Ah well, I suppose I bring this on myself.

Sometimes.

Thanks Mark... and Mark.

I have recently reached out to a coach and am working with him on some form issues. I realized I make a horrible coach for myself. Hopefully soon I will have enough quality reps under my belt to know what a good rep should 'feel' like.

Thanks again.

I had the same problem, it's very easy for me to over analyze things. In no particular order a couple things which helped me were:

1) Do the additional exercises if you're having trouble with a concept. If you're having trouble setting your back then: watch the platform video, do the stretch, have someone examine the back of your shirt etc etc. It really does help.

2) Watch videos of good squats to get an idea of how different people vary and to help you visualize what good squats actually look like. Even better if you're able to spectate in real life.

3) After the first couple of weeks stop using the work sets as a way to learn form. Focus on that during your warm ups. When you get to the work sets it's time to focus on the squat as a whole, use the master cue.

4) If you're going to use video then maybe take the extra step of getting a program like kinovea and use it to track the bar path and what not. Your analysis of the video is subjective. A line showing you how well the bar stays over the middle of your foot is not.

starting strength coach development program
    I've watched a zillion squat vids, including dozens of my own work-sets.
    I can now spot squat faults pretty well on video.

But it turns out coaching is more than spotting what's wrong.
    I guess I'm echoing Rip here.

Personally, I'm signed up for an upcoming SS seminar, just as a lifter not an aspiring coach.
    I hope to learn:
    - which of my flaws are serious enough to fix before adding weight (hopefully none)
    - how to fix some of the flaws I've not fixed on my own yet
    - (the big win) what I'm doing wrong that I've not noticed