starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical fitness

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This thread should be stickied.

Wow, Coach. Thank you for the detailed breakdown; specifically,with respect to with chronic inflation. I have not heard this problem explained this well before, but this is exactly what happened to me (including the almost dying part).

PPST took me a long way to fixing my ignorance of sound training principles. I wish I had read it and found this site much earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmadrid View Post
    You have to combine them at the same time. You can't leave conditioning work out for more than a couple of weeks or you will lose condition. You can't leave strength training out for more than a couple of weeks or you will lose strength. Obviously an all-round athlete is not going to excel in either discipline, but that doesn't matter if its not your goal.
    Oh, I know, Mike--believe me. That was really the point of my question. How to combine them in the most efficient way possible.

Rip's response provides a laser focus on efficiency. Barbells and Prowlers. I'm not sure many people would have the dedication to execute this for a 20-30 year career, but I do see the simple beauty of it. Maybe "Barbells plus Prowlers and other shit, but not so much of the other shit that it detracts from the Barbells, all the time" is something that any soldier could integrate into their real lives.

Thanks again, Rip, for the great response. At this point in my career I'm primarily focused on making sure the next generation is better equipped to fight than we were.

Quote Originally Posted by twindeltatandem View Post
    At this point in my career I'm primarily focused on making sure the next generation is better equipped to fight than we were.
    Let me know how I can help.

To the extent that you can have it all (absolute strength, relative strength, and endurance) the best prescription I have come across is to lift heavy and run slow. The biggest mistake people make when doing endurance work is to go too hard. When you're going at the redline all the time (as in Crossfit WOD) that's when the catabolism really kills you. Cardiovascular capacity is not antagonistic to strength. You can be a big jacked dude with a large cardiovascular capacity. The biggest and most jacked people in the world do a lot of cardio. (In spite of this I still think bodybuilding is for weirdos).

Just so no one misunderstands me - at the muscular level strength and endurance is antagonistic. And being big and jacked makes you get tired faster just because you're big and you can't shed heat as fast either, so you're never going to have a good marathon time. But if you're looking for a "no weaknesses/jack of all trades" type of fitness then the big lifting/slow cardio (doesn't have to be running actually) is your ticket. For the cardio it's pretty straightforward. You need to be at 130-150 bpm heart rate for 30-90 minutes - so you need to have a heart rate monitor.

2+2 sessions per week lifting and cardio is what I now recommend for this type of fitness. If you want to be able to ruck all day and still kick ass in a fight then that's the way to go. I also suspect this is also the best way to train for CrossFit, but I'm still investigating it.

This is all in Marty Gallagher's book, The Purposeful Primitive, which is vastly underrated in my opinion. Also, Joel Jamieson's book, Ultimate MMA Conditioning, has the science and plenty of methods to train this stuff. Before you shout me down you should check those books out.

I would like to share my ideas (none original) about The Tactical Athlete. Here is a rough guide of my training 6 months out from a known deployment this year. This works for me, my goals, and execution of my job. It may not work for everyone.

Months 1-5

Strength training was conducted in a linear PP model with constant resets. The resets where due to training or external factors that took me away from the rack. Conditioning was done at a minimum in order not to be fat, have a small base of capacity, and to compliment the strength training. The strength training was done on a basic 3 X 5 A and B outline. The conditioning consisted of prowler work, plyometric jumps, box step ups. The step up were the only exercise done in the oxidative training pathway.

Month 6

Strength training was conducted in a Texas Method fashion. Conditioning was conducted using intervals. The work period was no longer than 1 1/2 minutes, with the rest period being 2-3 minutes with 3-8 rounds depending on fatigue. The exercises were predominately body weight. The amount of work in the oxidative pathway stayed the same during this phase.

Acclimatization

I trained at sea level before deployment, but typically operated at 7-9000 ft of elevation.

Day 1-4

Cut back the lifts to a 3 X 5 at 75%. I only executed one lift per day. The focus for conditioning was the step ups.

Days 5-10

I slowly ramped up the lifting in intensity as my body adjusted. The oxidative conditioning stayed the same. I slowly added in the intervals.

Days 6-30

I continued to add intensity on the lifts, I started back with back a Texas Method based strength program. As I was able to perform my job at altitude (2 days of walking 2 7-9000 ft with 65 pounds of equipment, with intermittent sprints up to 100 meters) I began to cut back on the interval to 2 X per week.

Days 30-270

Texas method for strength. 2 interval per week and 2 sessions in the oxidative pathway.
    My diet consist of 1.2-1.4 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. The rest was real food. I like 8-9 hours of sleep per night.

Like I said, this worked for me. I knew when I was going overseas, and what I would be doing , and at what altitude. If I had to be ready for a short notice deployment, I could quickly transition the conditioning quickly from a base of strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I would like to share my ideas (none original) about The Tactical Athlete. Here is a rough guide of my training 6 months out from a known deployment this year. This works for me, my goals, and execution of my job. It may not work for everyone....Like I said, this worked for me. I knew when I was going overseas, and what I would be doing , and at what altitude. If I had to be ready for a short notice deployment, I could quickly transition the conditioning quickly from a base of strength.
    If you don't mind me asking, what were your strength numbers and what was your height/weight when you deployed?
    Last edited by stef; 11-08-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Cut the quote of the previous post. See above to read it all.

Thanks for continuing the great insights on this topic Rip. I'm running the Army ROTC program at the University of Rhode Island now. Happy to report that 7 weeks of strength training with very little running improved almost every Cadets' APFT score. Lots of folks improved 20-40 points. This is without actually training for the test. We will worry about that next Spring before they go off to training. As you can imagine, there was lots of resistance to my program. I was a pretty big dumbass until they took that APFT. Less resistance now. I think we'll continue to see great results.

Happy to hear this, Ryan. The data continues to pile up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what were your strength numbers and what was your height/weight when you deployed?
    6'2"
    BW 209
    34 yrs
    P 202.5
    BP 305
    S 455
    DL 502.5
    PC 242.5

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast