starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does modern life necessitate barbell training?

Default Does modern life necessitate barbell training?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rip,

Last night I happened to watch a documentary entitled 'The Estrogen Effect: Assault on the Male', which argued increased exposure to estrogen from the environment is provoking a litany of health problems (sterility, testicular cancer, etc.)

In short: sociological and cultural connotations aside, the 'feminization' of men is a biological and chemical reality which entails health risks.

So I was wondering: does that necessitate more testosterone production in modern man? And can barbell training fill that void?

'Starting Strength' helps train non-athletes to perform fundamental movements properly and efficiently; but can it boost T-levels and counter the estrogen effects found in our food, environment, etc?

If I remember correctly, 'Practical Programming' outlined testosterone boosts as cyclical -- not something that occurs IMMEDIATELY after training, like so many in the gym seem to think.

Thank you for you time.

Many studies, even lots of shitty ones using silly exercise protocols, have shown that resistance training elevates test levels in sedentary males. I don't know about environmental estrogens, but my policy would be to stay out of rooms where women watch Oprah and The View.

In his article on grip training, Joe Kinney suggests that you squat 20s in the morning before consuming anything more nutritious than coffee (his weight, for the record, was 400x20 - brutal). He contends that this puts your body into an emergency state, and causes it to produce testosterone (presumably, a lot more than regular training would). I'd be interested in you or Sully's take on this.

(BTW, I "figured out" who that picture was. Fucking Sherlock Holmes, I am. I am suitably embarrassed.)

I don't know, and I haven't read any studies regarding this in years. Maybe Sully is current.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Many studies, even lots of shitty ones using silly exercise protocols, have shown that resistance training elevates test levels in sedentary males. I don't know about environmental estrogens, but my policy would be to stay out of rooms where women watch Oprah and The View.
    I'm talking more chemical and biological influences than cultural ones.

Take, for example, this craze against plastics containing Bisphenol A or BPA -- a compound which supposedly mimics estrogen, and has been linked to diseases like cancer.

With so much exposure to these chemicals in modern life, is strength training -- through boosting T-levels -- essential to combating their harmful effects. Or does it just not work like that? Biology isn't my area of expertise.

In P.P. or S.S. (can't remember) you argued that despite all these changes in the modern world -- like an adult male, for example, sitting at a desk for 40 hrs. each week to make a living -- strength is still relavent and important for good reasons. But when you consider all the shit we're exposed to, is the testosterone from barbell training a tool for combating serious disease?

But you're right -- stay away from rooms where Oprah is being watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In this instance it would be more like don't eat food out of cans (BPA), filter your municipal water with the best filter you can (estrogenic compounds from birth control laden urine and some pesticides), etc. It's phenomenally difficult to judge the effect these potential environmental exposures produce, if any. The toxicology is difficult to investigate at the probable dose levels, and the effects of low level chronic exposure are totally unknown.

This is being over-complicated. You can look at the estrogen vs testosterone reasons all you want. Statistically and mathematically however, you won't find valuable answers.

Strength is health. Barbells are the best for gaining strength. So to answer "Does modern life necessitate barbell training?"...Yes.

Does modern life necessitate barbell training?
    Absolutely.

It certainly wont be improved by taking shit like "TESTOBOOST 5000MAXPUMP".

I haven't had any bloods done, and I cannot tell you with anything but anecdotal evidence, but training with heavy barbells has helped me with my depression, anxiety and also assists me in getting to sleep at night without drugs.

Please watch the video from doctor Sully.

starting strength coach development program
    I was able to get the "engine working again", and like a 16 year old at that, just from Barbell Training and GOMAD. So yeah, health improves from proper training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast