starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerks and Push-presses: Quick dip/eccentric or not?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I think presses should be done with the press grip, mechanically correct for pressing the bar off the shoulders, and push presses should be done with the jerk grip, mechanically correct for locking out the bar overhead.

My coaching of the Olympic lifts is done at my gym and sometimes at lunch during our seminars, and I've released the information on how I coach them on this board over the past 5 years. There are no plans for a book about Olympic weightlifting, because 1.) there is very limited demand, and 2.) the online reviews from the 35 people who post about Olympic weightlifting on the internet would be bad enough to discourage any potential purchasers. I publish books for a living, and my previous attempts at helping Olympic weightlifters have not been generally profitable, either personally or professionally. So I'll just coach the lifts at my gym and for people who might actually appreciate it, and post about it on this board occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think presses should be done with the press grip, mechanically correct for pressing the bar off the shoulders, and push presses should be done with the jerk grip, mechanically correct for locking out the bar overhead.
    Excellent. Thank you.

My coaching of the Olympic lifts is done at my gym and sometimes at lunch during our seminars, and I've released the information on how I coach them on this board over the past 5 years. There are no plans for a book about Olympic weightlifting, because 1.) there is very limited demand, and 2.) the online reviews from the 35 people who post about Olympic weightlifting on the internet would be bad enough to discourage any potential purchasers. I publish books for a living, and my previous attempts at helping Olympic weightlifters have not been generally profitable, either personally or professionally. So I'll just coach the lifts at my gym and for people who might actually appreciate it, and post about it on this board occasionally.
    Though disappointed, I completely understand. You have an uncanny ability to simplify "complex" lifts for motor morons like myself. Hopefully I find myself at another seminar in the future.

To the contrary, I think Olympic weightlifting coaches have the ability to complicate what is actually quite simple. This is in their best interest, of course, because if it is complicated, only they can understand it and coach it.

Thanks to Tamara and Guts for sharing their experiences. I have so far been doing the bounce as well and I believe that I feel a hard contact because I still go rather deep in the eccentric (unlike Tamara for example). I am actually not sure right now if that is a bad thing or not. I will post a video of my jerk here in the next days and maybe Rip will be so kind to give his comment. Perhaps I am doing something right/wrong so that others can learn from it as well.

Have you ever thought of maybe writing short articles, one on each lift. Or maybe an eBook only version to cut costs?

Hadn't considered it.

I think the idea of a bounce make a lot more sense when thinking about the movement. Dip & drive suggests that the two can be separated and that generating force doesnt start until you begin to drive and the dip is just to get into position. Whereas bounce suggests you're storing energy whilst descending which certainly is what it feels like to me.

When jerking i try to replicate the same feeling i have for the second pull i.e a controlled portion where you keep tension that builds and accelerates smoothly into the most violent act of aggression you're capable of. you play around with dip or 'bounce' speeds and depths until you feel that and then you play around with rack positions and grip widths until you feel it transferring to be bar best.

Got to do a couple of clean and jerks today warming up for my deadlifts and shot that video. It is not a pretty jerk by any means but one can clearly see how the weight crashes onto the shoulders. It looks different compared to Alex's and Tamara's jerks, so I guess I am doing something wrong - any input?

Looks quite obvious to me: you're driving the bar before you start your dip. Time the drive better.

starting strength coach development program
    Looks quite obvious to me: you're driving the bar before you start your dip. Time the drive better.
    Are you saying that I push with the arms during/right before the eccentric?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast