starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jerks and Push-presses: Quick dip/eccentric or not?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Can you not see this in the video?

I see that when I start the dip the shoulders lower quicker than the barbell. This is what I would expect even if there were no hands that pushed against it. That is because the body shortens which makes the shoulders descend quicker than gravity alone can explain. The barbell however will only descend as quickly as gravity makes it, unless the lifters pulls it down.
    You may be right though that I unconsciously push against the bar when I initiate the eccentric part of the lift and thereby increase an effect that would otherwise be totally negligible. I will try what happens when I actively focus on NOT driving up before the bounce has happened.

The body does not "shorten." Your hips and knees flex, then they extend forcefully. Gravity is perfectly capable of keeping up with even a quick a fellow as yourself. The way you know your analysis is wrong is that Tamara's "shortening" body doesn't do this too. Take your hands of the bar, keep your elbows up, do a dip and see if the bar gets left in the air like the Roadrunner/Coyote cartoons illustrate.

Try widening your jerk grip three finger-widths and see if this doesn't help take some of the tension off the bar. It will also improve the efficiency of your lockout.

Thanks for the technique pointers, I will put this into action asap.

I tried to execute the jerk similar to yesterdays but with a wider grip and, for the purpose of an experiment, elbows in front and only the fingertips touching the bar. This time I certainly did not push against the bar to any significant degree before the dip was finished.

I see people with this timing issue causing the weight crashing into them a lot, and it seems like most people don't realize it's happening. I tell them to keep the bar in contact with their shoulders as they dip. I don't know. Of all of the problems I have with my jerk, THAT is not one of them.

Yesterday with my normal dip and drive:

I thought 80 was my only decent lockout, and everything else before that was shit.

Today, trying to think about a bounce and really stepping my front foot out:

All, I can say is that the bounce makes everything happen faster. I just haven't been able to make my brain cooperate to do it once it's heavy for me...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by steven-miller View Post
    I tried to execute the jerk similar to yesterdays but with a wider grip and, for the purpose of an experiment, elbows in front and only the fingertips touching the bar. This time I certainly did not push against the bar to any significant degree before the dip was finished.
    And it was better. But your forearms are very long. Note the distance your wrists are above the bar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123