starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting to correct internally rotated shoulder?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Yes.

"Mobility, or joint mobility, is the ability to move a limb through the full range of motion--with control. Mobility is based on voluntary movement while flexibility involves static holds and is often dependent upon gravity or passive forces. Mobility demands strength to produce full-range movement, whereas flexibility is passive, thus not strength-dependent. Some authorities refer to mobility as 'active flexibility'. It is possible to have good mobility without being especially flexible, just as one can be flexible with poor mobility, i.e., control. Of the two, mobility is more important. It is better to be inflexible with good mobility than flexible with poor mobility. The percent difference between your mobility and flexibility is the same percent chance of creating a musculo-skeletal injury during physical activities."

Steve Maxwell
    What are examples of flexibility but poor mobility, and vice versa?

I think OP is saying that he has a problem with internally rotating his shoulders during pressing exercises. Not quite sure though.

OP, if you're internally rotating your shoulders and you feel like it's a problem then just deload a little bit to work on form. Focus on the cue "elbows to ribs" the whole time. I can't help you out too much though, I don't know much about the anatomy of the shoulder even though I try to learn as much about it as I can. It basically seems like everyone condemns internal rotation on pressing exercises because "it will fuck up your shoulders," but nobody mentions why exactly it is so horrible for your shoulders.

So if Rip or someone with some more experience wants to clarify on this topic then that would be awesome.

I don't know what the OP is saying, and I don't have time to speculate. And "everyone condemns internal rotation on pressing exercises because "it will fuck up your shoulders," but nobody mentions why exactly it is so horrible for your shoulders." sounds like paranoia to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jones View Post
    What are examples of flexibility but poor mobility, and vice versa?
    Well my Mrs has no mobility problems when I explain she wears too much make up and totally inflexible when it comes to cooking a piece of rump, I say once on the BBQ and turn it over right?, she says chop it into pieces and make it into a casserole, yeck! But when it comes to spending money she is very flexible, but when it comes to leaving the shop she looses her mobility.

This is part about shoulder mobility/flexibility and part thank you note. 30 years I had my shoulder diagnosed by various sports medicine docs as bursitis, tendinitis, and chronic AC joint sprain. Lots of shots and mountains of tape that didn't do much good. And it's hurt for 30 years, but it wasn't a big deal so long as I avoiding throwing anything. Last spring I tried squatting for the first time and couldn't get my shoulder in position under the bar. You recommended having it checked out, which ended well. The PT found that I had poor internal rotation. I ditched the long rotator cuff strengthening sessions because the capsule stretching (not sure I'm using that right) exercises from the PT and your advice to hang from a bar as a stretch enabled the squat. And the OHP fixed my shoulder pain. AND I just hit 200 on the OHP and will hit a BW (210) OHP in a couple of weeks. So thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know what the OP is saying, and I don't have time to speculate. And "everyone condemns internal rotation on pressing exercises because "it will fuck up your shoulders," but nobody mentions why exactly it is so horrible for your shoulders." sounds like paranoia to me.
    So there really is no reason to worry about internal rotation on pressing exercises? I think it's become such a huge topic becaue Lascek and Starret spend so much time discussing the issue and how to fix it.

How is Lascek entitled to an opinion? Describe the process of internal rotation when correctly pressing a barbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How is Lascek entitled to an opinion? Describe the process of internal rotation when correctly pressing a barbell.
    Isn't everyone entitled to an opinion? The 70sBig folks are the only people apart from yourself who talk about pressing often and they're pretty good at the lift so people listen to them.

Like I said, I really don't know much about shoulder mechanics and anatomy so I can't really speak on the subject. I just want to know why so many people say it's so bad for your shoulders and if it really is.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gape View Post
    Isn't everyone entitled to an opinion?
    Not everyone is entitled to an opinion. For instance, I may have an opinion on website maintenance, but I've only been doing this for about 4 years, so my opinion is not informed, and is therefore of no real value. I am entitled to type it, but I am not really actually entitled to hold it. An explanation would further the validity of an opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast