starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Deadlift and thoracic extension

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by william_morris217 View Post
    I have absolutely been neglecting my upper back. In fact, I am sure, as I have done some research, that my Iliocostalis is weak. What assistance work do I need to do in order to bring my Iliocostalis into synergy with the rest of my upper back musculature?
    How much Troll could a Troll Troll troll if a Troll Troll could troll Troll?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Upper back injuries would be to intervertebral discs and ribs. But I guess the fact that you've never heard of one means they can't occur. Proceed.
    I didn't say they can't occur.

So it's best to prevent them, and the best way is to maintain thoracic extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So it's best to prevent them, and the best way is to maintain thoracic extension.
    I'll work on it. Dave Tate and others say to intentionally relax the upper back and roll the shoulders forward rather than maintaining extension, but when they do it I don't see noticeable upper back rounding:

Dave and I disagree on this.

Saw this video a few weeks ago, and cringed at the lumbar hyperextension he throws in at the end of the movement.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gape View Post
    I'll work on it. Dave Tate and others say to intentionally relax the upper back and roll the shoulders forward rather than maintaining extension, but when they do it I don't see noticeable upper back rounding:
    Because there is none. I'm not sure what exactly Dave means by "relax the upper back", but letting shoulders glide forward (down in the bottom position of DL) could (and should better) be performed while keeping upper back in extension. For example, check shoulders position in correct front squat to see how shoulders are forward while upper back is extended (chest up).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234