starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flexibilty limitations when starting to train, is it ok?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    There's a question I've been meaning to ask, and this seems like a reasonable place to put it: The discussions about flexibility limitations here seem to focus on the squat, and often prompt the response that the squat itself acts as a stretch. But what about the press, which does not provide such a stretch? Specifically, how would you handle an older (i.e. 60) male trainee who was unable to reach the lockout position in the press because he couldn't achieve full thoracic extension and shoulder flexion? His attempts to reach lockout result in a hyper-extended lumbar and a barbell significantly forward of the midfoot. He can't reach the position without a bar or with a piece of PVC either. What do you have him do?
    I would not have him press.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I would not have him press.
    I see. So how would you adjust his programming in the absence of the press? Would you try to address his movement deficiency in any way?

In this particular case -- I'm talking about my dad here -- he's been "lifting" for years, and tends to do a lot of hammer strength chest press type stuff, which I think has contributed to the issue.

starting strength coach development program
    I'd work him into full-ROM chins first. If the joint capsule can respond by increasing ROM, chins will do it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123