starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flexibilty limitations when starting to train, is it ok?

Default Flexibilty limitations when starting to train, is it ok?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings all, so I am coming off a long layoff and want to use your program to get back into lifting and build my strength back up. Anyway i have noticed that I am probably not as flexible as i should be and it affects my squat form. For instance i can reach proper depth but at the expense of rounding my lower back when i get low enough. Also i do not have the shoulder flexibilty to keep the bar in the proper position on my back with straight wrists (they bend back a bit). I know i must stretch but my question is should I start the program now (im eager) or should i take a few weeks to work on my flexibilty first to ensure my form is right. Im thinking if i start now the weight will be light enough so i wont hurt myself and doing the excersises will actually help my flexibilty along with stretching? What do you think Mark? Thank you to anyone for any replies much appreciated.

We have found that barbell training is a pretty good way to increase flexibility, since the movements are all full ROM and provide their own stretch.

I suggest you do the squat stretch where you push your knees out with your elbows.

You could also squat down and place a barbell over your knees to stretch your ankles.

These two stretches made my bottom squat position tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We have found that barbell training is a pretty good way to increase flexibility, since the movements are all full ROM and provide their own stretch.
    Except that when an athlete with poor mobility performs the movements, FULL ROM is not achieved with proper form (as elucidated in the original post). So the movements do not provide a sufficient stretch for everybody.

There is nothing wrong with performing some mobility work. Dynamic stretches pre-training and static stretches post and off days. Those whose occupations have you seated for long periods might have extremely tight hip flexors and/or hamstrings so identify what muscles need specific work and address them. Westerners are notorious for poor hip mobility and excessive lumbar movement to compensate; not a good situation for squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Anand Topalov View Post
    Except that when an athlete with poor mobility performs the movements, FULL ROM is not achieved with proper form (as elucidated in the original post). So the movements do not provide a sufficient stretch for everybody.
    This is bullshit, as is most of the condescending gibberish you type, TR. Proper form is DEFINED as full ROM, and we coach it to 25 people every seminar, without exception.

Westerners are notorious for poor hip mobility and excessive lumbar movement to compensate; not a good situation for squatting.
    And Easterners are notorious for Communist dictatorships and bad teeth, not a good situation for anything except complacency and alcoholism.

Well i was planning on doing mobility work and stretching daily to improve my flexibility, definatly will incorporate that squat stretch that the book refers too also. Just wanted to know if it was okay to go ahead and start out with light weights even though my form may be off at first due to my inflexibility. Thanks for all the responses

This is bullshit, as is most of the condescending gibberish you type, TR. Proper form is DEFINED as full ROM, and we coach it to 25 people every seminar, without exception.
    The bold is rather ironic coming from you; you're far more patronizing than I am. And the squat you describe in Starting Strength is far from a full range of motion.

Considering all my posts that you don't approve, and those you disregard, I realize you don't have a high regard for science, but given that you advise the squat stretch, I believe that even you don't believe my post is "gibberish."

And Easterners are notorious for Communist dictatorships and bad teeth, not a good situation for anything except complacency and alcoholism.
    Irrelevant to my post and the topic of the thread. I guess this is your attempt at diversion and you will be rewarded with several "LOL" in response. And my name is Mikhail. As previously stated in a post you did not approve you can surely run your diagnostics to ascertain whether your assumptions are correct.

You have registered through a proxy server, as we ascertained last week. It is widely believed you are a repetitive troll, not The Arbiter of All Things Scientific. I do not care what you are, as long as you contribute to the conversation. When you don't I will delete you, as I do most people on this board occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Anand Topalov View Post
    And the squat you describe in Starting Strength is far from a full range of motion.
    And exactly what is the point in squatting as deep as possible for people who are not Olympic lifters? There is a very good argument for Olympic lifters squatting as deep as possible, but why pray tell should someone who is not an Olympic lifter bother with such shenanigans? Especially considering most people will require quite a bit of flexibility work before being able to preform a squat this way with good form. That's a lot of time and effort that could be spent getting stronger for what benefit exactly?

starting strength coach development program
    You have registered through a proxy server, as we ascertained last week. It is widely believed you are a repetitive troll, not The Arbiter of All Things Scientific. I do not care what you are, as long as you contribute to the conversation. When you don't I will delete you, as I do most people on this board occasionally.
    I postulate that all my posts thus far have contributed constructively. My curiosity compelled me to research your, and others, infatuation with the Top Rank, and I would postulate that well over half of his posts also contributed constructively. Interestingly, many of the posts in response to my own, and Top Rank's, do not share this quality (as evidenced directly below).

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    And exactly what is the point in squatting as deep as possible for people who are not Olympic lifters? There is a very good argument for Olympic lifters squatting as deep as possible, but why pray tell should someone who is not an Olympic lifter bother with such shenanigans? Especially considering most people will require quite a bit of flexibility work before being able to preform a squat this way with good form. That's a lot of time and effort that could be spent getting stronger for what benefit exactly?
    Your post, OCG, concerns me on a number of levels. First your apparent lack of comprehension, as you do not appear to understand my observation of the low bar squat as described in Starting Strength and the context of its mention in my exchange with Mr Rippetoe.

Second, referring to the bold part of your quote (in fact all of it) you appear to have no understanding of exercise selection for athletic performance, and to address weaknesses in competition lifts for powerlifters and I would ask Mr Rippetoe if he condones such disregard and inept understanding of the Olympic squat, because I am hesitant to believe that he would.

Third, you make mention of the very reason why mobility work, and stretching, is absolutely necessary for some athletes while trying to impose your misinformed and uneducated self on a conversation that is apparently above your level of knowledge. It's ironic, and disconcerting. I'm going to go out on a limb and presume that your squat is below 300lb, and that your form is probably found wanting.

Mr Rippetoe, I am particularly interested in your take on OCG labelling the Olympic squat as "shenanigans", and if you do not see a purpose in such a movement being performed for athletic performance beyond weightlifters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast