starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrist circumference & genetic potential question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    All you fellow small wristed and small handed fuckers, out of curiosity, what size shoes do you wear? I'm a size 6.5 for all things tight/snug (like a lifting shoe), size 7 for some wiggle room. Just wondering cause I don't have measuring tape to measure my wrist circumference or hand size. I'm "small boned" too. But I will say this, once you get to a 300+ 400lb deadlift at that size and height (less than 5'7") your forearms should be poppin' and you'll look more yoked than ever, just because of the contrast from our tiny bones and proportions.

I'm 5'11" with 6.75" wrists. I ran linear progression to 460 on squats, 485 on DL, and pressed BW at 242. Pretty sure wrist circumference isn't an absolute deciding factor for strength potential.

Here to jump on the bandwagon. Wrists are only 6.5", and my feet are tiny too. Maybe size 7.5" on a good day. Height is 5'5", weight is 170lb. These statistics reflect absolutely nothing on my strength levels, or strength potential. I've only been doing SS for about 6 months, and I'm already pressing 145lb, squatting 225, and can deadlift at least 300lb (my last workout). I don't consider myself anywhere close to my potential yet. I'm shooting for the 300/200/400 club in 2013, and I'm confident I'll get there. And all this doing a very submaximal program. If I actually followed Rip's program spot on, I'd be even stronger by now.

When I started I was in your boat, everything felt super heavy. Now it feels light. Just keep doing the LP, resetting, and doing some more. You'll get there. Tiny wrists and body weight just give us an advantage in the Wilks score.

Quote Originally Posted by xagent View Post
    All you fellow small wristed and small handed fuckers, out of curiosity, what size shoes do you wear? I'm a size 6.5 for all things tight/snug (like a lifting shoe), size 7 for some wiggle room. Just wondering cause I don't have measuring tape to measure my wrist circumference or hand size. I'm "small boned" too. But I will say this, once you get to a 300+ 400lb deadlift at that size and height (less than 5'7") your forearms should be poppin' and you'll look more yoked than ever, just because of the contrast from our tiny bones and proportions.
    I wear size 11 shoes. I also have a massive head. But tiny hands and wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by kittenSmash View Post
    I'm 5'11" with 6.75" wrists. I ran linear progression to 460 on squats, 485 on DL, and pressed BW at 242. Pretty sure wrist circumference isn't an absolute deciding factor for strength potential.
    I'm 5'7", have 7.5" wrists, and also have anthropometry (long torso/short legs) that SHOULD help with my squat, but in my first 3 months doing SS my squat has been my worst lift in terms of results. (As an aside, right now I'm in pansy-ass NDTP mode, partially due to the rest of Real Life but also in part because I'm a lazy pansy-ass, so take anything I say with the appropraite big chunk of salt you'd give to any ignorant newbie).

So, the takeaway lesson I get out of this is - get under/over the bar and push/pull/lift. The more you do that (properly), the better the results you'll get, regardless of wrist size/torso length/arm length/dick size/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by xagent View Post
    At 5'6" my feet are between 9 - 10 (US, Male). I've deadlifted in the upper 300s for fives, and my arms are comically not thick. A deadlift at that weight doesn't guarantee that you look strong to the average person. My gut, on the other hand, is pretty obvious.

If you've never squatted 405, the time you just spent measuring your wrists, rechecking your shoe size, and all this other non-sense is much better spent eating a steak. This stuff is even more ear-elephant than the body fat threads. At least you have control of that shit and the measurements *might* mean something. Jamie Lewis just totalled 1700+, an all-time WR without gear/wraps, at 181lbs of body weight with 6.5" wrists at 5'6".

Back to the rack with us all...

I thought you used the muscles in your legs & butt to squat -- not your wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by D.W. View Post
    I squatted 225 at a lot lighter bodyweight than i am at now, this is not a big number. I have really really small wrists and small hands, only a bit bigger than a girls hand and i'm 5'7. The only problems with this are that it limits grip strength at some point (still not happening for me) and that you get wrist injuries easier in boxing for example.
    I have learned two things about genetics from experience:
    1. You have no idea about your potential if you never try it, and by trying i mean really trying, not half-assed.
    2. Everybody that worries about genetics a lot, also does stupid shit in the gym and gets nowhere. Get that out of your head.
    Both my sons squatted over double body weight when they were quite small in terms of bodyweight ... my youngest squatted #120 for a single (and deadlifted 135) when he was s #60 pound 8-year old. My older lad was squatting sets of 5 at #250 when he was #130 and about 15 year old - we didn't test a 1rm for him. Seemed relatively easy for them to reach those levels as a youngster ... easier than to reach comparative proportions for me as an adult.

Each stopped lifting for a while when other sports etc. took over; both are now back at it, and wishing they'd never stopped. With any luck, this time they'll eat enough too.

starting strength coach development program
    For reference I have 8 1/4" wrists and can barely squat 300

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast