starting strength gym

Thread: Weight lifting with 5 fused lumbar vertebrae

Default Weight lifting with 5 fused lumbar vertebrae

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Howdy,

When I was 18 I ended up with 5 fused lumbar vertebrae (climbing accident). I continued climbing after that and never worried about strength since my normal activities kept me strong enough... I stopped climbing when we had kids a dozen years ago and continued aerobic training (30 miles/day bike commute) but did pretty much nothing for strength. A couple of months back I pulled out my finger board and realized I could not do even one good pullup. That's pretty sorry...

I found Starting Strength a few months ago and have been lifting M-W-F. Started off with wuss weights and have been slowly increasing.

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans
    Am receiving instruction in O-lifts and would like to add snatch to the mix.

I still ride the bike and have been working on flexibility (shoulder and hammies in particular). So far I feel good, but I worry about beating up the remaining discs below my fusion... Thoughts?

Best Regards,

Rob
    Beaverton, OR

If you have 5 lumbar discs fused, there are no more discs below your fusion.

Hi,

Sorry. I stated the fusion incorrectly. I think of it as lumbar, but it's actually 5 fused vertebrae centered on L2. I believe that leaves me two discs; the one between L4 and L5 and the one between L5 and the sacrum.

Best Regards,

Rob

Fusions of this type place a large stress on the remaining discs, as you know. PERFECT form will be required in all movements where force is transmitted through the lumbar. But you're doing okay so far. Proceed, carefully.