starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrist circumference & genetic potential question

Default Wrist circumference & genetic potential question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I did a search before writing this, just in case the whole thing's been done to death already... Basically if I have an off-the-scale TINY wrist circumference (just shy of six inches), is it a foregone conclusion that I'll never be able to squat 225lbs for example, no matter how much I eat or how hard I train? In short, are there fairly reliable ways to determine genetic potential for strength before even starting any training program?

No. Maybe you'll grow. Maybe you'll be strong at a light bodyweight. How old/tall are you?

The only thing wrist size was ever related to was as a baseline for determining the potential size of your chest, arms, quads, and calves. It was based on measurements of Mr. America's for a few decades. But that had nothing to do with predicting possible strength.

As Rip said, you might grow. Even your wrist circumference. Mine grew nearly 1/4" from age 55 to 60 from lifting heavier. So such growth can happen a lot later than I sure thought.

I'm 5ft 6in. 34 years old.

You'll grow.

I just watched one of my trainees squat 225 pounds last night for four sets of three. She weighs 112 pounds and is in her mid to late 30s. If you want to squat 225, you can do it and quite a bit more.

ive got thin wrists, just under 7" but can squat 462lbs and weigh 245lbs at 5'8 i think people worry to much about things instead of just getting on with training

I got girly arms ( wrist 6.5 inches, height 5'7, age 30). It has not destroyed my ability to get stronger, and I'm assuming to be able to squat 200 kg (440 pounds) and press my BW one day ( on a bad day i did squat 161 kgx1).

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Last time I measured, my wrists were 6.25 inches, which is really small for a 5'11" male. My best squat so far is 330x5, and I benched 230x5 on Monday. No indication I've topped out yet. You'll be fine--just lift and eat.

starting strength coach development program
    My wrist circumference is about 6", I've squatted 385, pulled 465, benched 285x1, and pressed 185lbs within this last year. I am 5'8'' and run between 170-180lbs.

I'd probably have much higher numbers if I wouldn't have ruptured my damn achilles tendon 4months ago.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast