starting strength gym

Thread: Patellofemoral stress @ push press

Default Patellofemoral stress @ push press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In order that we reduce shear force through the knee when executing the push press, is it possible to bias hip flexion over knee flexion in the dip?

Possible negatives; hip bias inherently creates more back angle which results in a compromised bar path and places more demand on the athlete to maintain rack, this said the moment of energy translation to the bar should remain the same and vertical path can be established at this point(?).

Is this a viable/safe trade off?
    What are the considerations?

1-s2.0-S0268003398000710-gr1.jpg

"Bias" is Glassman-speak. Please refrain. It is not only possible but absolutely essential that the dip be balanced between knee and hip flexion, thus producing a straight vertical bar path down and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    "Bias" is Glassman-speak. Please refrain. It is not only possible but absolutely essential that the dip be balanced between knee and hip flexion, thus producing a straight vertical bar path down and up.
    When I started to get this sort of pain in my knees back when I was competitively lifting my coach just so happened to be in Hawaii where she met with Tommy Kono and his advice to achieve the vertical path, which he also thought essential, was to cue her lifters to push knees slightly out as they dip. The motion was similar to the initial descent on the squat. It worked wonders for me knees and my jerk. I rarely ever missed a jerk in competition, cleans were a different story however, those I missed plenty of.

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    push knees slightly out as they dip. The motion was similar to the initial descent on the squat. It worked wonders for me knees
    Will try this... thanks.