starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4000-5000 calories

Default 4000-5000 calories

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mr Rippetoe,

how is it that i am able to eat well below what you guys normally recommend to truly get big and strong and still put on the weight, I went from 140ish to 200ish in about a year with a diet averaging 2500 calories a day and not the full gomad 4000-5000 approach i see here alot, Im also 5 7 in height. Lifts went up as follows:

3x5
    Squat - 85 - 310
    Bench- 95- 200
    Deadlift - 95- 345
    Press - 125

I have had to try really really hard for my PR's but they happened and now I feel i need to eat more because of the effort that is now needed, this is not another 'I ASK THIS BECAUSE IM AFRAID TO PUT ON BODYFAT thread" but i just wanted to know, if this is normal to have put on the weight having consumed only 2500 calories?

i would like to think most ppl would add about 500 calories at a time when strength becomes more difficult to gain? or should i just shoot for the stars and eat 4000-5000 calories? i ask these probably stupid questions because i just want to get really fucking strong and would like to know how much you would have me eating (yes i did read a clarification but the peleo diet is still like 3500-4000 calories if i remember well.)

btw i have yet to find a good place to measure bodyfat but i will guess its about 20 or a bit more. i should also say im just a student whose only really physical demand is barbell training so maybe its because i burn less calories a day?

Linika

If you actually gained this much weight on 2500 calories, you are different than most of us here. It might be your slothful approach to the rest of your life, or it might be that you are just an amazingly efficient digester of food. Perhaps your are Digestor, King of Growth. At any rate, just add 500 at a time until you get the effect.

lol 'digestor, king of growth" if only this was coupled with amazing strength as well...funny thing is --- about a year before that (2010), i weighed in at 98llbs and this was before i discovered starting strength, so i joined a gym and did machines and curls which got up my weight to 150 in about 8 months, i then did a cut and got down to about 10% bodyfat( 2011) , maybe even a lil lower at 125 or so ( yes i feel ashamed), and then i read ss and im up to 200 currently.

Congratulations my friend. A lovely anabolic gift has been bestowed upon you. Myself and plently of others lose weight consuming only 2500 calories whilst performing instensive strength training.

It might be your slothful approach to the rest of your life
    HAHA, I just picture a sloth squating and gaining rediculous weight... It's been a long day

Coach Rip

it did take him at least TWICE the time someone following the actual SS diet to get the numbers... he also did get fat regardless... so i have yet to see the benefits of not actually doing the program and getting bigger numbers faster... i mean, imagine if he did eat LIKE A MAN!

I just want to add this, and this is with no intention of been felt sorry for, but really so Mr, Rippetoe knows how much he has played an important role in my life and where I am heading. Throughout my teenager years drugs and alcohol really messed with my family which affected me in more ways than one. Stress became normal, i used to cry alot- i seem not to be able to cry or become very sad anymore. I rarely ate, thats how i weighed in at 98, on top of that i started losing hair at about that time, the only one in the family at such a young age, sign . At my lowest, my adopted father had past away who happens to be American( I live in the caribbean) and I was alone for the most part, on the good side my biological parents began financially supporting me.

Anyways so here i was now, up untill a couple years ago at 19, entering university and very self conscious about my appearance, and just feeling like there was so much I had missed out on early in my teens. I started gym and as I said, gained some weight and then I discovered SS and while its not some success story after all i squat 310, it did the world of wonders on my confidence and my appraoch to life. Mr, Rippetoe once said somewhere that he can give back a person their life, although this may have been intended for older people, it did the same to me. He deserves to know this.

You've done well, Dingster. Lots of us have gotten through the hard parts by getting under the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgmo View Post
    Coach Rip

it did take him at least TWICE the time someone following the actual SS diet to get the numbers... he also did get fat regardless... so i have yet to see the benefits of not actually doing the program and getting bigger numbers faster... i mean, imagine if he did eat LIKE A MAN!
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=36436 like i told mark in this thread on taking a year to get those numbers, it was because it took me quite a while to learn the technique when most of the weight on the bar was added in the last half, because of this i believe this is the period i gained most of the fat, remember i said i had previosuly cut down to 125 to about 10% bodyfat, well after that when i started my version of SS program ( my version because it was been done incorrectly intially), it was also around the same time i began to eat up from the dieted down weight, and this led me to gain about 25 pounds in about a week or was it two, hell i think it was a couple of days( it was really fast and not much muscle, since there was no more abs or lines or veins anymore)

When i learned the lifts after that time, I knew i began putting on some good muscular bodyweight because strength increased on par with SS expectations and because i know what my back and legs felt like at the time, and they have gotten much more solid. I never claimed to do SS but as to how I gain weight with such a low calorie count. Mark already stated his views and I am now happy to claim I am doing THE program 6 months now.

Didnt mean to draw out this thread.

crap i forgot to include this in my post, but i would like to add that when i cut down to 125, i was running a diet of around 1200 cals per dat and would frequently get down as low as 700/800 with very little carbs and such ( Im not proud of this, but it is what it is and I've been trying to mature my sense of thinking since then)

starting strength coach development program
    You should taper your calories upward. When I came out of a bodybuilding cut, and started squatting 3x a week, my caloric intake went up from 2,300 to 2,900 to 3,200 and finally settled around 3,500 with lifts about 10-25% higher than yours.

If I ate below 3,000 calories a day, I would wake up in the middle of the night with hunger pangs and end up having to fix myself an entire meal before I could fall back asleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast