starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dull ache in right arm. . .

Default Dull ache in right arm. . .

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    -- Age, Gender, current training status:

46 y.o. male, lifting for about 3 years.

-- Chief Complaint (what hurts and what makes it bad enough to seek help on the board):

I've been experiencing a dull ache in my right arm during training for the past month or so. It is very hard to poinpoint and pressure doesn't exacerbate the pain or symptoms. Generally from my armpit down to my elbow, perhaps wrapping around to the back of the elbow a bit. Possibly some pain in the shoulder joint, but not sure.

-- Narrative describing the mechanism of injury: In your own words, explain what happened, what you were doing, where it hurt, how long has it been since you first injured it:

No clue. I cannot pinpoint any event or events. I noticed it at first following sets of power cleans or chins. This morning it was really troublesome even with presses and LBBS. I haven't noticed any weakness.

-- Pain (on a scale of 1-10):

This morning, immediately following sets of press or LBBS, about a 6. Right now, about 2 hours later, about a 1. If it holds to form, it won't be noticeable later today. It has gotten progressively worse in the past few weeks.

- Describe the pain (burning, shooting, aching, deep, sharp):

A deep ache.

- What makes it better?

Not squatting or pulling.

-- What makes it worse?

Pulling or squatting

--How do your symptoms behave throughout the day?

It gets very noticeable during workouts and basically disappears shortly thereafter.

-- Signs and Symptoms (describe what the area looks like....swelling, bruising, etc.) and describe briefly what you can or can't do as a result of the injury

No bruising, no noticeable swelling, no tenderness to touch

-- Additional Information: I had a SLAP repair with sutures in my right biceps tendon in April of 2011. Recovery has been excellent with no pain in my shoulder, I can throw a ball again after 15 years of not being able to do so, and complete range of motion.

Thanks in advance!!

Sounds like you have hurt yourself somehow. Maybe it will heal. But you're 46, and shit hurts sometimes, especially if you're accomplishing something in the weight room.

Do you notice any pain or stiffness in your neck?

There was a brief time when I had a similar problem with my left arm after squatting - it turned out I had the bar placement wrong and was pinching something. Post a form video and have someone check this.

Quote Originally Posted by william_morris217 View Post
    Do you notice any pain or stiffness in your neck?
    I wondered if it might be a neck issue, but I've had no such difficulties.

A deep, dull ache with an unspecified location in the upper arm makes me suspect some biceps tentinitis.
    Try widening your grip when you squat (till its better), only pull double overhand, stop benching and take some vitimin I. Dont do any kipping or wildly swinging chinups.

Welcome to the club. I've had the same pain off and on (sometimes more on than off) for the past two years or so. Once it starts to hurt, applying a static force (Like tightening your arms against the bar during squats) makes it hurt significantly worse. It's a tennis elbow, tendonosis type pain. Do some searching on tendonosis. I haven't found a cure, and it's a sticky subject because doctors don't know what anything is except tendonitis, which it's normally not. It's hard describing a pain that doesn't effect a certain muscle or tendon but rather an entire region with dull throbbing pain, which sounds like you're describing and I'm all too familiar with.

If it is what I'm describing be careful, it progressively gets worse and it doesn't start hurting real bad until after you're done with the exercise, I almost passed out pushing through it since I couldn't feel anything until I stopped squatting and it kept hurting worse and worse until it was almost unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Desp View Post
    Welcome to the club. I've had the same pain off and on (sometimes more on than off) for the past two years or so. Once it starts to hurt, applying a static force (Like tightening your arms against the bar during squats) makes it hurt significantly worse. It's a tennis elbow, tendonosis type pain. Do some searching on tendonosis. I haven't found a cure, and it's a sticky subject because doctors don't know what anything is except tendonitis, which it's normally not. It's hard describing a pain that doesn't effect a certain muscle or tendon but rather an entire region with dull throbbing pain, which sounds like you're describing and I'm all too familiar with.

If it is what I'm describing be careful, it progressively gets worse and it doesn't start hurting real bad until after you're done with the exercise, I almost passed out pushing through it since I couldn't feel anything until I stopped squatting and it kept hurting worse and worse until it was almost unbearable.
    Eccentric loading has been shown to be an effective treatment for tendinopathy / tendinosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Eccentric loading has been shown to be an effective treatment for tendinopathy / tendinosis.
    Are you suggesting negative chins as a possible treatment?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jones View Post
    Are you suggesting negative chins as a possible treatment?
    My own experience of negative anything has been uniformly injurious and pain making. I've done loaded negative pull ups, dips, and bench presses and gotten hurt from them. Other people's experiences may differ, but I've heard this problem from plenty of others, especially among us older guys who were lifting when Arthur Jones and HIT was in vogue.

But simply hanging from a bar to stretch my shoulders has been a Good Thing on occasion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast